FPC 3.0.4 on Ubuntu Trusty

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

FPC 3.0.4 on Ubuntu Trusty

Darius Blaszyk
As I don't have Trusty installed I thought I would ask here instead. What is the most convenient way to install FPC 3.0.4 on Ubuntu Trusty? Is it as simple as downloading and installing the deb/rpm package from the website or is there a ppa somewhere for me to use? Does FPC 3.0.4 work on Trusty? The default on Trusty seems to be 2.6.4.

Rgds, Darius

_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FPC 3.0.4 on Ubuntu Trusty

Victor Campillo
On 17/01/18 21:05, Darius Blaszyk wrote:
> As I don't have Trusty installed I thought I would ask here instead.
> What is the most convenient way to install FPC 3.0.4 on Ubuntu Trusty?
> Is it as simple as downloading and installing the deb/rpm package from
> the website or is there a ppa somewhere for me to use? Does FPC 3.0.4
> work on Trusty? The default on Trusty seems to be 2.6.4.
Hi,

My system is Ubuntu trusty (Xubuntu actually) and I have installed FPC
2.6.2, 2.6.4, 3.0.0, 3.0.2, 3.0.4 and trunk, all of then work without
problems.

About the best way to install it, I highly recommend to compile it from
sources, it is the best way without any doubt.

Best Regards.

--
Victor Campillo

_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FPC 3.0.4 on Ubuntu Trusty

Darius Blaszyk
About the best way to install it, I highly recommend to compile it from sources, it is the best way without any doubt.

Thanks Victor! However, compiling from sources is not very practical for me. I need to install the latest FPC for a Travis-CI build. So therefore I need a binary distribution preferably. I did find this PPA btw: https://launchpad.net/~ok2cqr/+archive/ubuntu/lazarus, which provides FPC 3.0.0 for now. Is there an "official" PPA anywhere?

Rgds, Darius

_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FPC 3.0.4 on Ubuntu Trusty

Michael Van Canneyt


On Wed, 17 Jan 2018, Darius Blaszyk wrote:

>> About the best way to install it, I highly recommend to compile it from sources, it is the best way without any doubt.
>
> Thanks Victor! However, compiling from sources is not very practical for
> me. I need to install the latest FPC for a Travis-CI build. So therefore
> I need a binary distribution preferably. I did find this PPA btw:
> https://launchpad.net/~ok2cqr/+archive/ubuntu/lazarus, which provides
> FPC 3.0.0 for now. Is there an "official" PPA anywhere?

No.

We sometimes have .deb downloads on the website, but not always.

You're better off taking the .tar.gz. It should work on any linux system.

Michael.
_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FPC 3.0.4 on Ubuntu Trusty

Graeme Geldenhuys-6
In reply to this post by Darius Blaszyk
On 2018-01-17 20:05, Darius Blaszyk wrote:
> What is the most convenient way to install FPC 3.0.4 on Ubuntu Trusty?

In the years that I still used Linux (Ubuntu) as my primary OS, I ALWAYS
used the official Free Pascal console installer (never the bundled
packages for FPC or Lazarus). Then simply used the apt-get package
manager to install the dependencies:

   sudo apt-get install libX11-dev
   sudo apt-get install libXft-dev

That pulled in everything I needed to get a working development
environment on Ubuntu. That way I could also install multiple version of
FPC for testing.

Regards,
   Graeme

--
fpGUI Toolkit - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/

My public PGP key:  http://tinyurl.com/graeme-pgp
_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FPC 3.0.4 on Ubuntu Trusty

Darius Blaszyk
In reply to this post by Michael Van Canneyt
> We sometimes have .deb downloads on the website, but not always.
>
> You're better off taking the .tar.gz. It should work on any linux
> system.

Thanks Michael! However, as I understand installing from a .tar cannot
be fully automatically done. Some interaction is still needed. This
makes it impossible for me to use on Travis, that requires a
non-interactive script running on Trusty.

What would be the best option in this case? Is creating a .deb file for
FPC 3.0.4 difficult?

Rgds, Darius
_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FPC 3.0.4 on Ubuntu Trusty

Michael Van Canneyt


On Thu, 18 Jan 2018, Darius Blaszyk wrote:

>> We sometimes have .deb downloads on the website, but not always.
>>
>> You're better off taking the .tar.gz. It should work on any linux system.
>
> Thanks Michael! However, as I understand installing from a .tar cannot be
> fully automatically done. Some interaction is still needed. This makes it
> impossible for me to use on Travis, that requires a non-interactive script
> running on Trusty.
>
> What would be the best option in this case? Is creating a .deb file for FPC
> 3.0.4 difficult?

Yes.

I've not once succeeded in making a .deb.

Michael.
_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal