FEM pack in Pascal

Jilani Khaldi
Hi All,
I am looking for an open and free FEM (Finite Element Method) package
written in Pascal. I found many written in Fortran and C/C++ but nothing
in Pascal/Object Pascal. I didn't look everywhere on the web so:
1. Does someone know about such thing (even not complete)?
2. I am thinking to write one myself (I think to have the know-how to do
it). Is there some pascal developers interested in the project?

Thanks!
jk

Re: FEM pack in Pascal

Alain Michaud
Hi,

what field are you workin in?  I am asking this question because there
are two different types of simulations Poisson (static) or Helmotz
(oscillatory).

Alain Michaud

On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 11:41 +0200, Jilani Khaldi wrote:

> Hi All,
> I am looking for an open and free FEM (Finite Element Method) package
> written in Pascal. I found many written in Fortran and C/C++ but nothing
> in Pascal/Object Pascal. I didn't look everywhere on the web so:
> 1. Does someone know about such thing (even not complete)?
> 2. I am thinking to write one myself (I think to have the know-how to do
> it). Is there some pascal developers interested in the project?
>
> Thanks!
> jk

Re: FEM pack in Pascal

Jilani Khaldi
Alain Michaud wrote:

>Hi,
>
>what field are you workin in?  I am asking this question because there
>are two different types of simulations Poisson (static) or Helmotz
>(oscillatory).

Linear static and dynamic structural and thermal analysis problems.

jk

--
// Jilani KHALDI
http://www.archsf.org

Freepascal 2.0 for cygwin

josepascual (almudi)
Hi there,

Is there some 2.0 fpc release for cygwin?
If no, How can I build it starting from the scratch?

tia!

best regards

Re: Freepascal 2.0 for cygwin

Peter Vreman
> Hi there,
>
> Is there some 2.0 fpc release for cygwin?
> If no, How can I build it starting from the scratch?

There is no release. If you want to start a cygwin special the best way is
to start with a unix target and adapt it for cygwin. Things like opening
files etc. all need to be done through the cygwin1.dll so using the win32
rtl can not be used for that.

RE: Freepascal 2.0 for cygwin

josepascual (almudi)
Is there some posibility to make (compiling) fpc without fpc?
Is there some makefile or script in fpc (cvs) to avoid to use a fpc
1.0.0 or 2.0.0 to create a fpc new version?

> > Hi there,
> >
> > Is there some 2.0 fpc release for cygwin?
> > If no, How can I build it starting from the scratch?
>
> There is no release. If you want to start a cygwin special
> the best way is to start with a unix target and adapt it for
> cygwin. Things like opening files etc. all need to be done
> through the cygwin1.dll so using the win32 rtl can not be
> used for that.

Re: Freepascal 2.0 for cygwin

Vincent Snijders
Jose Pascual wrote:
> Is there some posibility to make (compiling) fpc without fpc?
> Is there some makefile or script in fpc (cvs) to avoid to use a fpc
> 1.0.0 or 2.0.0 to create a fpc new version?

IIRC, fpc 1.0.0 can be made with turbo pascal 7.

Vincent.

Re: Freepascal 2.0 for cygwin

On 16 aug 2005, at 20:24, Jose Pascual wrote:

> Is there some posibility to make (compiling) fpc without fpc?

No.

Re: Freepascal 2.0 for cygwin

Matt Emson
> Is there some posibility to make (compiling) fpc without fpc?
> Is there some makefile or script in fpc (cvs) to avoid to use a fpc
> 1.0.0 or 2.0.0 to create a fpc new version?

Cygwin runs exclusively on Windows machines... FPC has a Windows port.
Whilst I can see the point of a port to Cygwin, I seriously can't understand
why you can't use the Windows compiler to bootstrap the compiler. Cygwin is
just a bunch of DLLs and support binaries at the end of the day, and
creating a minimal bootstrap implementation using the Windows compiler,
whilst not trivial, is the simplest way of doing it. Am I missing some
reason for not using the Win32 compiler?

By the way, how would one compile Pascal code without a Pascal compiler? No
magic script file will avoid the need for fpc.

RE: Freepascal 2.0 for cygwin

josepascual (almudi)
Okey,
but I think that the first stage for make fpc is to compiling some asm
or c files using binutils, right?
so in cygwin I have binutils, even gcc, how I shoud to do to create
first fpc from ASMs or Cs files?

> On 16 aug 2005, at 20:24, Jose Pascual wrote:
>
> > Is there some posibility to make (compiling) fpc without fpc?
>
> No.
>

> Jonas

Re: Freepascal 2.0 for cygwin

> Jose Pascual wrote:
> > Is there some posibility to make (compiling) fpc without fpc?
> > Is there some makefile or script in fpc (cvs) to avoid to use a fpc
> > 1.0.0 or 2.0.0 to create a fpc new version?
>
> IIRC, fpc 1.0.0 can be made with turbo pascal 7.

In practice Only by developers, due to all kinds of tricks needed to deal with the low memory amount.

Re: Freepascal 2.0 for cygwin

On 16 aug 2005, at 21:44, Jose Pascual wrote:

> Okey,
> but I think that the first stage for make fpc is to compiling some asm
> or c files using binutils, right?

No, FPC is entirely written in Pascal (just like gcc is written in C
and not in assembler). The original bootstrap was with Turbo Pascal,
but TP compatibility has been dropped a long time ago. It must be
bootstrapped with itself now.

> so in cygwin I have binutils, even gcc, how I shoud to do to create
> first fpc from ASMs or Cs files?

You can't, you have to cross-compile it with an existing version of
FPC (the Win32 version is most logical in your case)

Re: Freepascal 2.0 for cygwin

> Okey,
> but I think that the first stage for make fpc is to compiling some asm
> or c files using binutils, right?

Incorrect.

> so in cygwin I have binutils, even gcc, how I shoud to do to create
> first fpc from ASMs or Cs files?

You can't, FPC is written in pascal.

Re: Freepascal 2.0 for cygwin

L505

> By the way, how would one compile Pascal code without a Pascal
compiler? No
> magic script file will avoid the need for fpc.

I asked this question on C2 wiki once..
I guess you could start by hardcoding a binary program from scratch in a
text editor with your bare hands. Then you have the meaning of life,
birth, the big bang, creation, etc.

Did FPC originate from a turbopascal compiler, or a Gnu C compiler? Or
bare assembly? or bare binary ?

Re: Freepascal 2.0 for cygwin

L505

> No, FPC is entirely written in Pascal (just like gcc is written in C
> and not in assembler). The original bootstrap was with Turbo Pascal,
> but TP compatibility has been dropped a long time ago. It must be
> bootstrapped with itself now.

Neato.. offtopic but if anyone wondered, the delphi compiler is
originated from borland C++ as far as my tools told me.

Re: Freepascal 2.0 for cygwin

Nikolay Nikolov
L505 wrote:

>Neato.. offtopic but if anyone wondered, the delphi compiler is
>originated from borland C++ as far as my tools told me.

Yes, actually DCC32 is written in C++. Only the Delphi IDE is written in
Delphi. FPC and Lazarus are both written in FPC :)

Re: Freepascal 2.0 for cygwin

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005, L505 wrote:

>> By the way, how would one compile Pascal code without a Pascal
> compiler? No
>> magic script file will avoid the need for fpc.
>
> I asked this question on C2 wiki once..
> I guess you could start by hardcoding a binary program from scratch in a
> text editor with your bare hands. Then you have the meaning of life,
> birth, the big bang, creation, etc.
>
> Did FPC originate from a turbopascal compiler, or a Gnu C compiler? Or
> bare assembly? or bare binary ?

The initial version was compiled with Turbo Pascal.

Later FPC was used to recompile itself. Now you would no longer be able
to compile FPC using FPC, because it uses classes, which TP didn't
support.

When going to a new platform, you'll always need to cross-compile.
But this is the same for any C compiler.

Re: Freepascal 2.0 for cygwin

Matt Emson

> When going to a new platform, you'll always need to cross-compile.
> But this is the same for any C compiler.

And, as Cygwin is simply another target under Windows, the Windows compiler
is perfectly capable of "cross" compiling for Cygwin. In this case, "cross"
compiling is streatching the term slightly, as Cygwin is another API that
runs under Windows, not a seperate OS. The hardest part will be tweaking the
RTL and working out which Cygwin DLL provides which section of the UNIX API.
It's not trivial, but it's a far cry from porting to, say ARM from X86 or
68000 to PowerPC or from Linux to QNX or BeOS. At least your binaries should
run under Windows without having to reboot, so long as the Cygwin DLL's are
in the path.

Re: Freepascal 2.0 for cygwin

Florian Klaempfl
Matt Emson wrote:

>>Is there some posibility to make (compiling) fpc without fpc?
>>Is there some makefile or script in fpc (cvs) to avoid to use a fpc
>>1.0.0 or 2.0.0 to create a fpc new version?
>

> Cygwin runs exclusively on Windows machines... FPC has a Windows port.
> Whilst I can see the point of a port to Cygwin, I seriously can't understand
> why you can't use the Windows compiler to bootstrap the compiler. Cygwin is
> just a bunch of DLLs and support binaries at the end of the day, and
> creating a minimal bootstrap implementation using the Windows compiler,
> whilst not trivial, is the simplest way of doing it. Am I missing some
> reason for not using the Win32 compiler?
>
> By the way, how would one compile Pascal code without a Pascal compiler? No
> magic script file will avoid the need for fpc.

Same applies to gcc ;) Without an older gcc you can't build a new one
except using a propritary compiler.

Re: Freepascal 2.0 for cygwin

L505

> Same applies to gcc ;) Without an older gcc you can't build a new one
> except using a propritary compiler.

But where did that proprietary compiler come from? Hardware based?
Molecules, Ions, and atoms?

i.e. the answer to the big bang theory, the answer to religion, etc.