Eye Candy Contest

Marc PERTRON
Hi,

I'd like to show to some people that FreePascal can do good graphical
and efficient things :o)
So I organise an eye candy contest, with some simple rules, and I'll
give three rewards ($150, $100 and $50) for the three best programs.

The rules :
-The end of the contest is December 15th (i may change the date if it
shows to be way too short)
-The source code of the program (and used pictures + ressources) will be
posted on Internet under the GPL, so be sure of what you use

-The program MUST : *Compile and work in fullscreen mode under Ubuntu
6.10 (i386), in at least 640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768 with Gnome or KDE
*Be readable (the will be used as a tutorial for graphics with FP)

-The program COULD :
*Also compile under Win32 and/or MacOS (not necessary but will be good
to show how powerful FPC is)
*Support some options : printing the FPS, a max FPS limit, or the use of
a "bpm" global (to synchronise it with music)
*Be used as a screensaver in Linux

You can use anything you want : GLScene, Jedi-SDL, etc...
The test machine will be an Athlon 64 3800+, 1Go DDR, Geforce 7900GTO
with nvidia proprietary drivers.

What is an eye candy ?
http://rss-glx.sourceforge.net/screenshots.shtml
These are Eye-Candy ScreenSavers ;)

Ask if you had questions !

Marc

Re: Eye Candy Contest

Michael Van Canneyt

On Wed, 1 Nov 2006, Marc PERTRON wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to show to some people that FreePascal can do good graphical and
> efficient things :o)
> So I organise an eye candy contest, with some simple rules, and I'll give
> three rewards ($150, $100 and $50) for the three best programs.

Independent of this, you may want to show your 'people':

http://www.freepascal.org/gallery.html

There are some very nifty graphics programs. Pixel32 for instance. Voxel.
Or the games. Probably the pascal game development site has also some nice
screenshots.

Re: Eye Candy Contest

Marc PERTRON
Michael Van Canneyt a écrit :

> Independent of this, you may want to show your 'people':
>
> http://www.freepascal.org/gallery.html
>
> There are some very nifty graphics programs. Pixel32 for instance. Voxel.
> Or the games. Probably the pascal game development site has also some
> nice screenshots.
The usual answer is 'yes but you can do that with VB too'.
I don't want people to compare VB and FP, but to see that FP is as good
as C for heavy things ;o)
And an eye-candy is one of the best examples :)
--
Marc

Re: Eye Candy Contest

Michael Van Canneyt

On Wed, 1 Nov 2006, Marc PERTRON wrote:

> Michael Van Canneyt a écrit :
> >
> > Independent of this, you may want to show your 'people':
> >
> > http://www.freepascal.org/gallery.html
> >
> > There are some very nifty graphics programs. Pixel32 for instance. Voxel.
> > Or the games. Probably the pascal game development site has also some nice
> > screenshots.
> The usual answer is 'yes but you can do that with VB too'.
> I don't want people to compare VB and FP, but to see that FP is as good as C
> for heavy things ;o)
> And an eye-candy is one of the best examples :)
Sure, but look at the lone wolf 3 site in the gallery. Try that with VB ;-)
Same with Pixel32, because it runs cross-platform. Try that with VB ;-)

Anyway, I absolutely approve of your eye-candy contest.
I was just pointing out some additional arguments... :-)

Re: Eye Candy Contest

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho

They may also want to take a look at the Virtual Magnifying Glass:

http://sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php?group_id=60638

Almost 250.000 downloads now =) on 3 platforms

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho

Re: Eye Candy Contest

Marc Weustink
Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Nov 2006, Marc PERTRON wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to show to some people that FreePascal can do good graphical and
>> efficient things :o)
>> So I organise an eye candy contest, with some simple rules, and I'll give
>> three rewards ($150, $100 and $50) for the three best programs.
>
> Independent of this, you may want to show your 'people':
>
> http://www.freepascal.org/gallery.html

Ehm.... how to get there from the main site (and shouldn't lazarus be
there as well) ?

Marc

Re: Eye Candy Contest

Michael Van Canneyt

On Wed, 1 Nov 2006, Marc Weustink wrote:

> Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 1 Nov 2006, Marc PERTRON wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'd like to show to some people that FreePascal can do good graphical and
> >> efficient things :o)
> >> So I organise an eye candy contest, with some simple rules, and I'll give
> >> three rewards ($150, $100 and $50) for the three best programs.
> >
> > Independent of this, you may want to show your 'people':
> >
> > http://www.freepascal.org/gallery.html
>
> Ehm.... how to get there from the main site (and shouldn't lazarus be
> there as well) ?

During the construction of the page, the page was not reachable.
I have already raised this issue on the core list.

Re: Eye Candy Contest

Neil Graham-2
Marc PERTRON wrote:

> The rules :
> -The program MUST : *Compile and work in fullscreen mode under Ubuntu
> 6.10 (i386), in at least 640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768 with Gnome or KDE

I'd recommend saying fullscreen in at least 640x480, 800x600 _OR_ 1024x768.

If you are using 3d style rendering then resolution changes are not much
of an issue.  But if you are going for 2d and bitmap effects, often the
best results come
from designing for a particular resolution.  When it comes down to it,
the actual numbers of the resolution are nott that important.  It's how
it looks that matters.

Maybe this'll even get me off my butt enough to tidy up my libs enough
for a release.

Re: Eye Candy Contest

Marc PERTRON
Neil Graham a écrit :

> I'd recommend saying fullscreen in at least 640x480, 800x600 _OR_
> 1024x768.
>
> If you are using 3d style rendering then resolution changes are not
> much of an issue.  But if you are going for 2d and bitmap effects,
> often the best results come
> from designing for a particular resolution.  When it comes down to it,
> the actual numbers of the resolution are nott that important.  It's
> how it looks that matters.
If you design for a particular resolution, then you can change the
scale. Even a 640x480 upscaled to 1024*768 is ok to me, or a perfect
anim in 1024*768 that is far less pretty in 640*480.
I just ask at least 3 settings ;o) (I'd to print them on some displays
that support only one of the three)

> Maybe this'll even get me off my butt enough to tidy up my libs enough
> for a release.
This is one of the goal of the contest... ;o)
--
Marc

Re: Eye Candy Contest

Steve Williams-3
Marc PERTRON wrote:

> Neil Graham a écrit :
>
>> I'd recommend saying fullscreen in at least 640x480, 800x600 _OR_
>> 1024x768.
>>
>> If you are using 3d style rendering then resolution changes are not
>> much of an issue.  But if you are going for 2d and bitmap effects,
>> often the best results come
>> from designing for a particular resolution.  When it comes down to it,
>> the actual numbers of the resolution are nott that important.  It's
>> how it looks that matters.
>>
> If you design for a particular resolution, then you can change the
> scale. Even a 640x480 upscaled to 1024*768 is ok to me, or a perfect
> anim in 1024*768 that is far less pretty in 640*480.
> I just ask at least 3 settings ;o) (I'd to print them on some displays
> that support only one of the three)

What about displays that aren't your standard 4:3 ratio, such as my dual
1920x1200 widescreens or my 1024x600 handheld?

--
Sly

This message and its attachments may contain legally privileged or confidential information. This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you may not copy or deliver this message or its attachments to anyone. Rather, you should permanently delete this message and its attachments and kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail. Any content of this message and its attachments, which does not relate to the official business of the sending company must be taken not to have been sent or endorsed by the sending company or any of its related entities. No warranty is made that the e-mail or attachment(s) are free from computer virus or other defect.

Re: Eye Candy Contest

Marc PERTRON
Steve Williams a écrit :

> What about displays that aren't your standard 4:3 ratio, such as my
> dual 1920x1200 widescreens or my 1024x600 handheld?

Well, i ask *at least* the 3 resolutions i gave.
You can do more... :o)
Also, as i give the money i also give the minimal requirements and i
think i'm not too restrictive ?
Also as people asked in private, some general answers :
-Yes it can be 2D or 3D or even both
-Yes, a simple 2D animation can compete (why not snowfall and Christmas
trees ?)
--
Marc

Re: Eye Candy Contest

Vincent Snijders
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho schreef:

> On 11/1/06, *Marc Weustink* <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Ehm.... how to get there from the main site (and shouldn't lazarus be
>     there as well) ?
>

> It has:

Lazarus is not on the fpc gallery.

Vincent

Re: Eye Candy Contest

Graeme Geldenhuys-2
On 02/11/06, Vincent Snijders <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Lazarus is not on the fpc gallery.
>
> Vincent

Not related to the Eye Candy Contest, but maybe we could add the fpGUI
project to the FPC Gallery?  If so, let me know what is needed.

Re: Eye Candy Contest

Marc PERTRON
Could the people working on the Eye Candy Contest tell me if they think
all is ok (it's in 15 days ;o))
Marc

Re: Eye Candy Contest

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho
There was some feedback about the contest here:

http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/viewtopic.php?t=3934

Extending by 1 or 2 months the date would probably be a nice idea.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho