Extension .pp or .pas

Damien Gerard

I am starting a new project and I worry about filename conventions.
It is possible to use .pp or .pas for fpc source files.

Lazarus creates .pas files AFAIK. The project will be a console
application.

Is there some existing conventions (from history or something else) or
we totally don't care about ?

--
Damien Gerard
[hidden email]

Le temps n'a pas d'importance. Seul le code est important
    -- (f00ty)

Re: Extension .pp or .pas

Graeme Geldenhuys-2
As far as I know .pp is the old 'classical' file extension.  .pas is
the new more widely know (I think) extension for Object Pascal.  I
prefer .pas personally.

FPC doesn't mind which one you use.

On 11/01/2008, Damien Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am starting a new project and I worry about filename conventions.
> It is possible to use .pp or .pas for fpc source files.
>
> Lazarus creates .pas files AFAIK. The project will be a console
> application.
>
> Is there some existing conventions (from history or something else) or
> we totally don't care about ?
>

> --
> Damien Gerard
> [hidden email]
>
> Le temps n'a pas d'importance. Seul le code est important
>     -- (f00ty)

Re: Extension .pp or .pas

Matt Emson
Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> As far as I know .pp is the old 'classical' file extension.  .pas is
> the new more widely know (I think) extension for Object Pascal.  I
> prefer .pas personally.

I had never seen ".pp" before FPC. In all the Delphi/Turbo Pascal I'd
used, it was always ".pas". On the Mac it seems to have been ".p" quite
regularly. Was ".pp" the UNIX standard?

Re: Extension .pp or .pas

John Coppens
On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 14:55:40 +0000
Matt Emson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Was ".pp" the UNIX standard?

Suspecting the analogy with .c and .cc, I guess it was .p in the non-OO
era and .pp with objects.

John

Re: Extension .pp or .pas

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> As far as I know .pp is the old 'classical' file extension.  .pas is
> the new more widely know (I think) extension for Object Pascal.  I
> prefer .pas personally.

There is nothing 'classical' or 'new' about either extension.

.pp was in accordance with unix standards.
.pas was in use for dos/windows by Borland (tp/delphi).

FPC normally uses .pp

This allows you to make a distinction when you have lazarus/delphi
installed: .pp opens with lazarus, .pas with delphi.

Re: Extension .pp or .pas

Jonas Maebe-2

On 11 Jan 2008, at 16:41, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Jan 2008, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>
>> As far as I know .pp is the old 'classical' file extension.  .pas is
>> the new more widely know (I think) extension for Object Pascal.  I
>> prefer .pas personally.
>
> There is nothing 'classical' or 'new' about either extension.
>
> .pp was in accordance with unix standards.

There is no unix ".pp" standard. .pp is an invention by Florian,
indeed in analogy with .c -> .cc as John Coppens mentioned (although
not specifically regarding pre/post-objects).

Re: Extension .pp or .pas

Tomas Hajny
On Fri, January 11, 2008 16:41, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Jan 2008, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>
>> As far as I know .pp is the old 'classical' file extension.  .pas is
>> the new more widely know (I think) extension for Object Pascal.  I
>> prefer .pas personally.
>
> There is nothing 'classical' or 'new' about either extension.
>
> .pp was in accordance with unix standards.
> .pas was in use for dos/windows by Borland (tp/delphi).
>
> FPC normally uses .pp

Well, I'd say that the last statement may be slightly misleading, because
it depends on what is meant under "FPC", so just to make it 100% clear:
When referring to "FPC compiler", .pp and .pas can be used equally as
already mentioned by somebody else. Talking about "FPC project", .pp is
used for majority of source files in RTL and packages. However, even
within "FPC project", .pas is used for files which are supposed to be
compilable with other compilers (because these usually don't support .pp).
For mostly historical reasons, this category includes compiler sources,
because they were compilable/compiled with other compilers in the past.

Tomas