Experiences installing FPC 2.0 and Free Pascal for Xcode Integration Kit

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Experiences installing FPC 2.0 and Free Pascal for Xcode Integration Kit

Lance Boyle
Hello list,

Today I installed FPC 2.0 and the current version of the Free Pascal  
for Xcode Integration Kit on a recently-installed 10.4.1 (Archive and  
Install over FPC 2.0 and Free Pascal for Xcode Integration Kit on  
10.3.9. It seems that the UPInterfaces were not preserved.)

I installed FPC 2.0.
I had the disk image for UPInterfaces available.

When running the installer for Free Pascal for Xcode Integration Kit,  
there are two cases:
    (1) The disk image for UPInterfaces is not mounted.
        The installer for Free Pascal for Xcode Integration Kit  
attempts to run a program asking me to locate the disk image but that  
program crashes with this message in a dialog box: "The application  
ChooseFile quite unexpectedly after it was reopened."
    (2) The disk image for UPInterfaces is already mounted.
        The installer for Free Pascal for Xcode Integration Kit  
appears to proceed normally.

When working with the default Carbon project:
    The projects builds OK.
    (1) When the program runs, if Command-Q is pressed, it quits with  
exit status 0.
    (2) When the program runs, and the program's main menu ("Hello"  
in this case) is pressed, attempting to reach the Quit menu item, the  
program exits with status 207 and the output to the run log as pasted  
below.
    (3) Additionally, after running the default compiled Carbon  
program and clicking the program's main menu ("Hello" in this case),  
the "Automatically hide and show the Dock," (System Preferences,  
Dock) feature quit working. Option-Command-D still works, however.  
Trying to re-set the feature to On from the Pref panel fails. Control-
Clicking on the divider line in the actual Dock and selecting "Turn  
Hiding On" succeeds. This entire cycle is repeatable.

Lance




Pasted run log after trying to access the menu item "Quit."



[Session started at 2005-06-24 18:24:51 -0700.]
Runtime error 207 at $903E5A7C
   $903E5A7C
   $9456F2A0
   $9456F184
   $9029C2F4
   $9029D43C
   $9029BDA4
   $9029BB6C
   $9456E9B0
   $9456D444
   $903E0D48
   $903E0200
   $903DF450
   $945DA884
   $903DDE8C
   $903DDDDC
   $903DDBF4
   $9024F74C
   $90210C34
   $93153810
   $931530D8
   $93152F38
   $931CAD1C
   $931CAAE8
   $931C9848
   $931C8B94
   $9314C9A4
   $9314C700
   $932AC9BC
   $932ACADC
   $932ACADC
   $932AC73C
   $931541DC
   $93121AB4
   $9312120C
   $93127F90
   $931C77E4
   $931C7574
   $931C7378
   $931C66E4
   $931BA4D8
   $931BA1E8
   $931B9E50
   $931B7C78
   $931B7838
   $9331A3C4
   $931B77C0
   $93121AB4
   $9312120C
   $93127F90
   $931B3ADC
   $931282FC
   $93121D04
   $9312120C
   $93127F90
   $93168E70
   $93168DFC
   $931673B0
   $00002340
   $00020554
   $00001DFC
   $00001C9C


hello has exited with status 207.

_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Experiences installing FPC 2.0 and Free Pascal for Xcode Integration Kit

Jonas Maebe

On 25 Jun 2005, at 03:31, Lance Boyle wrote:

> When running the installer for Free Pascal for Xcode Integration  
> Kit, there are two cases:
>    (1) The disk image for UPInterfaces is not mounted.
>        The installer for Free Pascal for Xcode Integration Kit  
> attempts to run a program asking me to locate the disk image but  
> that program crashes with this message in a dialog box: "The  
> application ChooseFile quite unexpectedly after it was reopened."

That's probably due to the same problem that causes the error you  
post below, as that program is also written and and compiled with FPC.

>    (2) The disk image for UPInterfaces is already mounted.
>        The installer for Free Pascal for Xcode Integration Kit  
> appears to proceed normally.

Indeed, then this program is not started.

> When working with the default Carbon project:
>    The projects builds OK.

It does? That's strange, since it requires several changes to work  
with XCode 22.1 at least (maybe it's beter with XCode 2.0).

>    (1) When the program runs, if Command-Q is pressed, it quits  
> with exit status 0.
>    (2) When the program runs, and the program's main menu ("Hello"  
> in this case) is pressed, attempting to reach the Quit menu item,  
> the program exits with status 207 and the output to the run log as  
> pasted below.
>    (3) Additionally, after running the default compiled Carbon  
> program and clicking the program's main menu ("Hello" in this  
> case), the "Automatically hide and show the Dock," (System  
> Preferences, Dock) feature quit working. Option-Command-D still  
> works, however. Trying to re-set the feature to On from the Pref  
> panel fails. Control-Clicking on the divider line in the actual  
> Dock and selecting "Turn Hiding On" succeeds. This entire cycle is  
> repeatable.

(2) and (3) probably have a similar cause. For some reason, some  
procedures in the Carbon framework no longer function correctly if  
floating point "invalid operation" exceptions are enabled. FPC  
enables these at startup time, while the C runtime does not. You can  
work around this problem by adding the following three lines at the  
start of your main program:

asm
     mtfsfi 6,1
end;

This masks the "invalid floating point operation" exceptions.


Jonas


_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Experiences installing FPC 2.0 and Free Pascal for Xcode Integration Kit

Lance Boyle
Thanks for the helpful comments.

On Jun 26, 2005, at 1:44 AM, Jonas Maebe wrote:

>
> On 25 Jun 2005, at 03:31, Lance Boyle wrote:
>
>
>> When running the installer for Free Pascal for Xcode Integration  
>> Kit, there are two cases:
>>    (1) The disk image for UPInterfaces is not mounted.
>>        The installer for Free Pascal for Xcode Integration Kit  
>> attempts to run a program asking me to locate the disk image but  
>> that program crashes with this message in a dialog box: "The  
>> application ChooseFile quite unexpectedly after it was reopened."
>>
>
> That's probably due to the same problem that causes the error you  
> post below, as that program is also written and and compiled with FPC.
>
>
>>    (2) The disk image for UPInterfaces is already mounted.
>>        The installer for Free Pascal for Xcode Integration Kit  
>> appears to proceed normally.
>>
>
> Indeed, then this program is not started.
>
>
>> When working with the default Carbon project:
>>    The projects builds OK.
>>
>
> It does? That's strange, since it requires several changes to work  
> with XCode 22.1 at least (maybe it's beter with XCode 2.0).

Yes--I'm still with Xcode 2.0. I haven't moved to 2.1 because of what  
you guys have been talking about on this list as well as some sort of  
modification to the GNAT (Ada) build instruction (?) that that list  
is hashing over, to become compatible with 2.1.

>
>
>>    (1) When the program runs, if Command-Q is pressed, it quits  
>> with exit status 0.
>>    (2) When the program runs, and the program's main menu ("Hello"  
>> in this case) is pressed, attempting to reach the Quit menu item,  
>> the program exits with status 207 and the output to the run log as  
>> pasted below.
>>    (3) Additionally, after running the default compiled Carbon  
>> program and clicking the program's main menu ("Hello" in this  
>> case), the "Automatically hide and show the Dock," (System  
>> Preferences, Dock) feature quit working. Option-Command-D still  
>> works, however. Trying to re-set the feature to On from the Pref  
>> panel fails. Control-Clicking on the divider line in the actual  
>> Dock and selecting "Turn Hiding On" succeeds. This entire cycle is  
>> repeatable.
>>
>
> (2) and (3) probably have a similar cause. For some reason, some  
> procedures in the Carbon framework no longer function correctly if  
> floating point "invalid operation" exceptions are enabled. FPC  
> enables these at startup time, while the C runtime does not. You  
> can work around this problem by adding the following three lines at  
> the start of your main program:
>
> asm
>     mtfsfi 6,1
> end;
>
> This masks the "invalid floating point operation" exceptions.

Thanks--I noticed a related thread on the Pascal Central list right  
after posting here.
>
>
> Jonas
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
> http://lists.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
>


_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal