Error: Assembler as not found, switching to external assembling

Error: Assembler as not found, switching to external assembling

César Espinoza
Hi all

I'm sorry in advanced about my poor english (I'm spanish talking)

I am returning to pascal, and in OSX 10.5.5, fpk 2.2.2 (installed from .dmg) I tried this:

program first;

var a:integer;

begin

a:=1;
writeln (a);

end.

But when I tried compling the response was:

Free Pascal Compiler version 2.2.2 [2008/08/03] for i386
Copyright (c) 1993-2008 by Florian Klaempfl
Target OS: Darwin for i386
Compiling program1.pas
Assembling first
Error: Assembler as not found, switching to external assembling
Fatal: There were 1 errors compiling module, stopping
Fatal: Compilation aborted
Error: /usr/local/bin/ppc386 returned an error exitcode (normal if you did not specify a source file to be compiled)

I see it was generated a file with extension .s

I know I am a rookie in this, but can anyone help me?

--
-------
César Espinoza Soto

Re: Error: Assembler as not found, switching to external assembling

Joost van der Sluis
Op woensdag 31-12-2008 om 09:11 uur [tijdzone -0500], schreef César
Espinoza:

> Free Pascal Compiler version 2.2.2 [2008/08/03] for i386
> Copyright (c) 1993-2008 by Florian Klaempfl
> Target OS: Darwin for i386
> Compiling program1.pas
> Assembling first
> Error: Assembler as not found, switching to external assembling
> Fatal: There were 1 errors compiling module, stopping
> Fatal: Compilation aborted
> Error: /usr/local/bin/ppc386 returned an error exitcode (normal if you
> did not specify a source file to be compiled)

I could be wrong but check if you have installed the binutils on your
machine. (ld, as)

Joost.

Re: Error: Assembler as not found, switching to external assembling

Giulio Bernardi
Joost van der Sluis ha scritto:

> Op woensdag 31-12-2008 om 09:11 uur [tijdzone -0500], schreef César
> Espinoza:
>
>> Free Pascal Compiler version 2.2.2 [2008/08/03] for i386
>> Copyright (c) 1993-2008 by Florian Klaempfl
>> Target OS: Darwin for i386
>> Compiling program1.pas
>> Assembling first
>> Error: Assembler as not found, switching to external assembling
>> Fatal: There were 1 errors compiling module, stopping
>> Fatal: Compilation aborted
>> Error: /usr/local/bin/ppc386 returned an error exitcode (normal if you
>> did not specify a source file to be compiled)
>
> I could be wrong but check if you have installed the binutils on your
> machine. (ld, as)

On Mac OS X, you have to install the Developer Tools (they are on the
Mac OS X DVD IIRC).

Giulio

Re: Error: Assembler as not found, switching to external assembling

Jonas Maebe-2

On 31 Dec 2008, at 17:04, Giulio Bernardi wrote:

> Joost van der Sluis ha scritto:
>> Op woensdag 31-12-2008 om 09:11 uur [tijdzone -0500], schreef César
>> Espinoza:
>>> Free Pascal Compiler version 2.2.2 [2008/08/03] for i386
>>> Copyright (c) 1993-2008 by Florian Klaempfl
>>> Target OS: Darwin for i386
>>> Compiling program1.pas
>>> Assembling first
>>> Error: Assembler as not found, switching to external assembling
>>> Fatal: There were 1 errors compiling module, stopping
>>> Fatal: Compilation aborted
>>> Error: /usr/local/bin/ppc386 returned an error exitcode (normal if
>>> you
>>> did not specify a source file to be compiled)
>> I could be wrong but check if you have installed the binutils on your
>> machine. (ld, as)
>
> On Mac OS X, you have to install the Developer Tools (they are on
> the Mac OS X DVD IIRC).

Correct, but the FPC installer package normally checks whether they
are installed, by checking for the existence of /usr/bin/gcc. It's
pretty odd that /usr/bin/gcc would exist, but /usr/bin/as not. Maybe
the path is wrong in the terminal session for some reason?

To César: what does

echo $PATH

show? And

ls -l /usr/bin/gcc /usr/bin/as