El Capitan 10.11 installation

Yorgo Yeorgiou
Hi list,

I am new to Pascal so forgive me for the following boring question..
Could someone suggest me a way to install Pascal on a Mac running El capitan with XCode 7 IDE?
is there any guide?

Thank you,

Re: El Capitan 10.11 installation

Graeme Geldenhuys-6
On 2015-10-21 09:18, Yorgo Yeorgiou wrote:
> Could someone suggest me a way to install Pascal on a Mac

http://sourceforge.net/projects/freepascal/files/Mac%20OS%20X/2.6.4/

Re: El Capitan 10.11 installation

Jonas Maebe-2

Yorgo Yeorgiou wrote on Wed, 21 Oct 2015:

> Could someone suggest me a way to install Pascal on a Mac running El
> capitan with XCode 7 IDE?

Download the installer from
http://www.freepascal.org/down/i386/macosx-netherlands.var and follow
the instructions on that page (the ones for 'Xcode 5+ compatibility'
and 'Unknown developer" error when installing (Mac OS X 10.7 and
later)'. That will install the compiler. It will not make it usable
from within Xcode itself.

While you can use FPC from inside Xcode, it's not recommended because
Xcode is on the one hand overly complicated and on the other hand has
very little to no Pascal-specific support.

If it is just to compile small programs, you have three options:
1) if you are familiar with Terminal: type them in a text editor, save
them and then compile them in a terminal window with "fpc
savedfile.pas" (replace "savedfile.pas" with the name of the file you
saved, and ensure you are in the correct directory
2) you can try the Lightweight IDE: http://www.ragnemalm.se/lightweight/
3) you can use Lazarus (more complex to use):
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/Lazarus%20Mac%20OS%20X%20i386/Lazarus%201.4.4/ (once you've installed the compiler from the url mentioned at the start of this message, you have to additionally install the fpcsrc-2.6.4-20140421-i386-macosx.dmg and lazarus-1.4.4-20151003-i386-macosx.dmg files from that page). Follow the instructions at http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Console_Mode_Pascal#Console_mode_programming_with_Lazarus to create a simple text-based mode application with
Lazarus.

If you want to do other things besides writing simple console mode
programs, then install Lazarus and follow e.g.
http://wiki.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Tutorial

Re: El Capitan 10.11 installation

Ryan Joseph
Simon has a guide which is aimed at iOS but is for Xcode also.

http://blog.naver.com/simonsayz/220485321971

Here are the latest version of the headers (for 10.10) which I maintain and you’ll probably need to learn about Objective Pascal and Cocoa also if you want to make GUI apps.

https://github.com/genericptr?tab=repositories
http://www.objectivepascal.com

You’ll get more answers if you ask on the Mac FPC mail list probably.

> On Oct 21, 2015, at 3:18 PM, Yorgo Yeorgiou <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi list,
>
> I am new to Pascal so forgive me for the following boring question..
> Could someone suggest me a way to install Pascal on a Mac running El capitan with XCode 7 IDE?
> is there any guide?
>
> Thank you,

        Ryan Joseph