Dosemu problems compiling

John Coppens
Hello all,

After installing fpc 2.4.0 on a freedos directory, I had the following
problems:

- I tried to install using the install program, but dosemu crashed when
clicking on 'Continue'

- So I installed the base package manually, adjusted the path. Now fpc
(without arguments) starts correctly, showing all the commandline options.
Compiling a program (which compiled identically on Linux without errors),
I get a load of errors about GOTO and LABEL not being defined.
I recompiled with -Sg, and dosemu crashed again.

I tried increasing DPMI memory (from 20 MB to about 50 MB), no difference.
The dosemu output is below.

Anyone had a similar experience?

(NOTE: I tried dosbox too. When I ran 'fpc', the screen output was
garbled. Tried several options, but couldn't get that to work).

I'm trying to get a program compiled for use under DOS+extender (or
win32). I looked up the possibility to cross-compile, but that doesn't
seem possible under x86_64 (no 32bit targets)?

Help!
John

ERROR: Fault handler re-entered! signal=11 _trapno=0xE
ERROR: cpu exception in dosemu code outside of DPMI client!
trapno: 0x0e  errorcode: 0x00000007  cr2: 0x00000000
eip: 0x004a2cc1  esp: 0x7fff16e2d270  eflags: 0x00010202
cs: 0x0033  ds: 0x013f  es: 0x013f  ss: 0x002b
ERROR: Please report the contents of ~/.dosemu/boot.log at
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=457447&group_id=49784&func=browse
It would be even more helpful if would recompile DOSEMU and reproduce this
bug with "debug on" in compiletime-settings.
Page fault: write instruction to linear address: 0x00000000
CPU was in user mode
Exception was caused by insufficient privilege

Re: Dosemu problems compiling

Jonas Maebe-2

On 05 Apr 2010, at 21:21, John Coppens wrote:

> Anyone had a similar experience?

As the DosEMU output says: "ERROR: Please report the contents of ~/.dosemu/boot.log at
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=457447&group_id=49784&func=browse"

This is a bug in DosEMU.

> (NOTE: I tried dosbox too. When I ran 'fpc', the screen output was
> garbled. Tried several options, but couldn't get that to work).

And that's a bug in DosBox (furthermore DosBox is not supported for running arbitrary DOS programs, only for playing games -- although I guess you could write a DOS game in FPC and use that as case, since it'll probably have the same problems).

> I'm trying to get a program compiled for use under DOS+extender (or
> win32). I looked up the possibility to cross-compile, but that doesn't
> seem possible under x86_64 (no 32bit targets)?

You have to build an x86_64 -> i386 cross-compiler first (or use a native i386 compiler, since all x86_64 platforms I know of can also run i386 binaries). You will also need cross-binutils targeting DJGPP 2.x to be able to link.

Re: Dosemu problems compiling

Tomas Hajny-2
On Mon, April 5, 2010 21:38, Jonas Maebe wrote:

> On 05 Apr 2010, at 21:21, John Coppens wrote:
>
>> Anyone had a similar experience?
>
> As the DosEMU output says: "ERROR: Please report the contents of
> ~/.dosemu/boot.log at
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=457447&group_id=49784&func=browse"
>
> This is a bug in DosEMU.
>
>> (NOTE: I tried dosbox too. When I ran 'fpc', the screen output was
>> garbled. Tried several options, but couldn't get that to work).
>
> And that's a bug in DosBox (furthermore DosBox is not supported for
> running arbitrary DOS programs, only for playing games -- although I guess
> you could write a DOS game in FPC and use that as case, since it'll
> probably have the same problems).
 .
 .

...especially if it was a text-mode game (I guess the trouble with FPC
output comes from buggy console support which is probably not that well
debugged in DosBox because that's usually not very important for games). I
may be completely wrong though. ;-)

>> I'm trying to get a program compiled for use under DOS+extender (or
>> win32). I looked up the possibility to cross-compile, but that doesn't
>> seem possible under x86_64 (no 32bit targets)?
>
> You have to build an x86_64 -> i386 cross-compiler first (or use a native
> i386 compiler, since all x86_64 platforms I know of can also run i386
> binaries). You will also need cross-binutils targeting DJGPP 2.x to be
> able to link.

...or you can compile with -st and (assemble and) link under DosEmu /
DosBox if the DJGPP binutils work correctly with either of them... Not
necessarily very elegant, but a possible solution if you cannot find or
compile the cross-binutils.

Tomas

Re: Dosemu problems compiling

John Coppens
On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 21:38:33 +0200
Jonas Maebe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Anyone had a similar experience?
>
> As the DosEMU output says: "ERROR: Please report the contents of
> ~/.dosemu/boot.log at
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=457447&group_id=49784&func=browse"
>
> This is a bug in DosEMU.

I've reported the bug on the DosEmu mailing list and on the Sourceforge
bug tracker - but I have the impression that the last 4 years little or
no attention has been dedicated to either of them. I've also reported the
(other) bug on the DosBox forum.

I just copied the fpc source files to my (32bit-) notebook, where I have
dosemu installed, which I have used before to compile them under DOS. I
also installed FPC 2.4.0 there. Same problem as the one reported above.

I have the impression that this problem appeared in the upgrade from FPC
2.2.x to 2.4.x. I just noticed, because 2.2.x didn't accept a writeln of
an enumerated scalar, which 2.4.x does, apparently. But 2.2.x did start
compiling.

Any recent changes in the fpc executable that could cause the DosEmu
problem?

John