Delphi may have Linux support next year

Anthony Walter-3
I don't know it's been posted here yet, but over at the Embarcadero community website a new roadmap has been published.

Interestingly it seems like Delphi might support Linux next year. From the wording it would seem to indicate that the compiler will be able to target Linux 64 bit, the RTL will work, along with some data access components.

Translation: Delphi users who get this updated version next year will be able to write and compile CLI programs and/or shared libraries on AMD64 enabled Windows, OSX, and Linux computers. Don't expect a visual library or Firemonkey support for Linux anytime soon if ever.

What might be interesting is if the Delphi command line compiler could run on AMD64 Linux, but that's yet to be seen.

Re: Delphi may have Linux support next year

Graeme Geldenhuys-6
On 2016-08-30 06:15, Anthony Walter wrote:
> What might be interesting is if the Delphi command line compiler could run
> on AMD64 Linux, but that's yet to be seen.

[I would assume your message is off-topic, so I set the reply-to of this
message to FPC-Other]

I doubt it will actually run on Linux, because then they would also need
a debugger, which then begs for an IDE to make debugging easier. So in
all likelihood, you would need a copy (and license) of Windows to
develop for Linux - just like you need for OSX/iOS development.

Just stick with FPC and have native tools for each platform. I see no
benefit of having Delphi these days. Delphi is outshined by Free Pascal
and Lazarus IDE for some years now.

Regards,
  Graeme

Re: Delphi may have Linux support next year

Marc Santhoff-2
On Di, 2016-08-30 at 11:31 -0500, Snorkl e wrote:
> Big deal, we can do all that and more with Lazarus and FPC

... without waiting for "perhaps next year".

Marc (using fpc/lazarus since fpc-version 1.9 or so ;)

--
Marc Santhoff <[hidden email]>