Delphi compiler team left Embarcadero/Idera

Delphi compiler team left Embarcadero/Idera

Maciej Izak
Looks like the last one senior compiler guy has gone - Allen Bauer (like Eli Boling before). He is starting a new position at Google:

Interesting info:

[quote author="Ralf Stocker"]
How safe is Delphis future? Who is the new Lead Compiler Engineer? Who is the new Chief Scientist?
[/quote]

[quote author="Allen Bauer"]
There are no plans that I'm aware of to move someone into my old position... All those that I would consider qualified are either already gone or are currently looking elsewhere.
[/quote]

Related initiative "Lets buy Delphi":

IMO Interesting and sad time for whole community.

--
Best regards,
Maciej Izak

Re: Delphi compiler team left Embarcadero/Idera

Serguei TARASSOV
Sad news.
As we have many UI codes in D7 that cannot be easily ported to Lazarus, the migration to Seattle 10 was in roadmap. Now I doubt to investing into this migration.
Serguei

Re: Delphi compiler team left Embarcadero/Idera

Marco van de Voort
In our previous episode, Serguei TARASSOV said:
> Sad news.
> As we have many UI codes in D7 that cannot be easily ported to Lazarus, the
> migration to Seattle 10 was in roadmap. Now I doubt to investing into this
> migration.

Were you planning to buy with subscription? The number of post relases fixes
is usually not that high, so for Seattle the calculation regardless of
people leaving.

P.s. wasn't this already announced quite a while ago? Last summer or fall?
I already knew this, and the message wording also sounded awfully familiar.

Re: Delphi compiler team left Embarcadero/Idera

Maciej Izak

announced quite a while ago? Last summer or fall?
I already knew this, and the m

No way. This is breaking news. Maybe it was someone else. AFAIK from now, there isn't any of well-known/experienced people on the compiler team.

--
Best regards,
Maciej Izak

Re: Delphi compiler team left Embarcadero/Idera

Serguei TARASSOV
Marco van de Voort wrote
Were you planning to buy with subscription? The number of post relases fixes
is usually not that high, so for Seattle the calculation regardless of
people leaving.
Yes, the subscription is "by default".
Will see the situation...
Serguei

Re: Delphi compiler team left Embarcadero/Idera

Bo Berglund
On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 05:55:26 -0700 (MST), Serguei TARASSOV
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>Marco van de Voort wrote
>> Were you planning to buy with subscription? The number of post relases
>> fixes
>> is usually not that high, so for Seattle the calculation regardless of
>> people leaving.
>
>Yes, the subscription is "by default".

Interesting, at the same time the developers leave the team
Embarcadero changes licensing such that you cannot get a new version
without the extra subscription, which by itself covers bugfixes that
presumably stop as soon as the next release is made in 6 months or so.

So a product no longer actively developed gets a higher price...

I'm glad I am retired now.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden

Re: Delphi compiler team left Embarcadero/Idera

Snorkl e

Hmm maybe sad for Delphi users, I myself have not used Delphi since 2012,
hopefully Delphi users see the light and start using Lazarus and FPC.

It's not surprising that people are leaving embarcadero, it sucks being on the end of a dirty acquisition stick

Re: Delphi compiler team left Embarcadero/Idera

In our previous episode, Serguei TARASSOV said:
> > fixes
> > is usually not that high, so for Seattle the calculation regardless of
> > people leaving.
>
> Yes, the subscription is "by default".

That recently changed? I bought Seattle without in november or so.

Re: Delphi compiler team left Embarcadero/Idera

Bo Berglund
On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 17:03:29 +0100 (CET),
[hidden email] (Marco van de Voort) wrote:

>In our previous episode, Serguei TARASSOV said:
>> > fixes
>> > is usually not that high, so for Seattle the calculation regardless of
>> > people leaving.
>>
>> Yes, the subscription is "by default".
>
>That recently changed? I bought Seattle without in november or so.

There was an email message from them recently that said they are
changing the conditions as of March 1, 2016. After that there is
always a subscription to buy...

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden

Re: Delphi compiler team left Embarcadero/Idera

Anthony Walter-3
The problem Delphi ran into a while back comes down to one key factor: PRICE

What is the current cost of their professional version now? Something greater than 1000 buck I believe, and it's been that way for quite some time.

In this age, when anyone with a ".edu" email address (DreamSpark) or website (WebSpark) can get Visual Studio pro for free, anyone can get Eclipse or IntelliJ IDEA for free, anyone can get Python + any IDE for it for free, or get Atom/Brackets for Javascript/HTML for free, it's no wonder practically NO ONE is buying and then using Delphi.

This is especially true when it's so platform limited. The IDE only works on Windows, it has no real Linux support (sorry Kylix), the OSX VCL tooling is abysmal (my god its awful).

You add these in with the fact that more and more developers have been moving to web applications, and you have a recipe for failure.

Re: Delphi compiler team left Embarcadero/Idera

Bo Berglund
On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 12:11:54 -0500, Anthony Walter
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>The problem Delphi ran into a while back comes down to one key factor: PRICE

..

>This is especially true when it's so platform limited. The IDE only works
>on Windows, it has no real Linux support (sorry Kylix), the OSX VCL tooling
>is abysmal (my god its awful).

Yeah,
I got myself a personal boost back in 2013 by buying XE5 so as to
explore the world of mobile apps, but I never really got going on
that.

>You add these in with the fact that more and more developers have been
>moving to web applications, and you have a recipe for failure.

Would it then not be a good time to convert to FPC/Lazarus?
Price-wise it would not be a big deal....

At my old workplace we developed industrial automation software and we
used Delphi from version 1 up to 7 and then stayed on 7 until I
retired in 2011.

Converting from Delphi7 to FPC 3.0 and Lazarus should not be that big
of a problem unless there are snags with the 3rd party stuff we used.

If one has moved on with RAD until Seattle and used the stuff in there
(like FireMonkey) then it would be a hard deal I guess....

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden