Delphi collaborates FPC?

Bee-6
http://blogs.borland.com/nickhodges/archive/2006/08/26/27022.aspx#FeedBack

What do you think? :)

-Bee-

has Bee.ography at:
http://beeography.wordpress.com

Re: Delphi collaborates FPC?

Rainer Stratmann
Am Freitag, 1. September 2006 05:12 schrieb Bisma Jayadi:
> http://blogs.borland.com/nickhodges/archive/2006/08/26/27022.aspx#FeedBack
>
> What do you think? :)
What is the advantage of the Delphi IDE?
Imo that's the (only?) advantage Delphi has (and faster compilation).

Rainer

Re: Delphi collaborates FPC?

Michael Van Canneyt

On Fri, 1 Sep 2006, Rainer Stratmann wrote:

> Am Freitag, 1. September 2006 05:12 schrieb Bisma Jayadi:
>> http://blogs.borland.com/nickhodges/archive/2006/08/26/27022.aspx#FeedBack
>>
>> What do you think? :)
> What is the advantage of the Delphi IDE?
> Imo that's the (only?) advantage Delphi has (and faster compilation).

It does not really compile faster.
In most cases it does link faster, but that will be remedied soon :-)

Re: Delphi collaborates FPC?

Rainer Stratmann
Am Freitag, 1. September 2006 11:51 schrieb Michael Van Canneyt:

> On Fri, 1 Sep 2006, Rainer Stratmann wrote:
> > Am Freitag, 1. September 2006 05:12 schrieb Bisma Jayadi:
> >> http://blogs.borland.com/nickhodges/archive/2006/08/26/27022.aspx#FeedBa
> >>ck
> >>
> >> What do you think? :)
> >
> > What is the advantage of the Delphi IDE?
> > Imo that's the (only?) advantage Delphi has (and faster compilation).
>
> It does not really compile faster.
> In most cases it does link faster, but that will be remedied soon :-)
So why not make a commercial Version of it, if it is better?
Then you can concentrate more on your work and the work you like!

Rainer
> Michael.

Re: Delphi collaborates FPC?

Jonas Maebe-2

On 1 sep 2006, at 12:20, Rainer Stratmann wrote:

>> It does not really compile faster.
>> In most cases it does link faster, but that will be remedied soon :-)
> So why not make a commercial Version of it, if it is better?
> Then you can concentrate more on your work and the work you like!

No, because then you also have to concentrate on the commercial/
business aspects.

Re: Delphi collaborates FPC?

Florian Klaempfl
Rainer Stratmann wrote:

> Am Freitag, 1. September 2006 11:51 schrieb Michael Van Canneyt:

>>> What is the advantage of the Delphi IDE?
>>> Imo that's the (only?) advantage Delphi has (and faster compilation).
>> It does not really compile faster.
>> In most cases it does link faster, but that will be remedied soon :-)
> So why not make a commercial Version of it, if it is better?
> Then you can concentrate more on your work and the work you like!

Then it gets a duty and gets boring.

Re: Delphi collaborates FPC?

Rainer Stratmann
Am Freitag, 1. September 2006 13:00 schrieb Jonas Maebe:

> On 1 sep 2006, at 12:20, Rainer Stratmann wrote:
> >> It does not really compile faster.
> >> In most cases it does link faster, but that will be remedied soon :-)
> >
> > So why not make a commercial Version of it, if it is better?
> > Then you can concentrate more on your work and the work you like!
>
> No, because then you also have to concentrate on the commercial/
> business aspects.

If you want to sell less quality products thats right. It is much more easyer
if you have products that have a good quality and if you have people who are
interested in it.

It will guarantee also that people who rely on the compiler that they have
more security or may be they feel that someone is responsible for it.
Absolute security is impossible.

I don't know how you get your money for your life, but you can spend much time
in a thing doing it good with less financial support, it works, but you have
to make too many compromises in the rest of your life. That is my experience.

Anyway I would like to spend (some) money for it because it is worth it.
And you are free to feel dutiful or not (that is in your mind, not in my).

Rainer

> Jonas

Re: Delphi collaborates FPC?

On 9/1/06, Florian Klaempfl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > So why not make a commercial Version of it, if it is better?
> > Then you can concentrate more on your work and the work you like!
>
> Then it gets a duty and gets boring.

I so agree with that!  :-)

Graeme.

Re: Delphi collaborates FPC?

Rainer Stratmann
Am Freitag, 1. September 2006 13:27 schrieb Graeme Geldenhuys:
> On 9/1/06, Florian Klaempfl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > So why not make a commercial Version of it, if it is better?
> > > Then you can concentrate more on your work and the work you like!
> >
> > Then it gets a duty and gets boring.
>
> I so agree with that!  :-)

Has someone another opinion, or is it only allowed to say something if someone
has the same opinion???

sorry :-(

Rainer
> Graeme.

Re: Delphi collaborates FPC?

Leonardo M. Ramé
Maybe a third party can distribute a commercial version of FreePascal / Lazarus and share profits
with the FPC community/team. Just like many linux distributions do (think of something like
RedHat, Debian, etc.).

My opinion.

--- Rainer Stratmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > Then it gets a duty and gets boring.
> >
> > I so agree with that!  :-)
>
> Has someone another opinion, or is it only allowed to say something if someone
> has the same opinion???
>
> sorry :-(
>
> Rainer
> > Graeme.

Leonardo M. Ramé
http://leonardorame.blogspot.com

Re: Delphi collaborates FPC?

On 1 sep 2006, at 13:37, Rainer Stratmann wrote:

>> No, because then you also have to concentrate on the commercial/
>> business aspects.
>
> If you want to sell less quality products thats right. It is much
> more easyer
> if you have products that have a good quality and if you have
> people who are
> interested in it.

You always have to do book keeping, tax administration etc.

> I don't know how you get your money for your life, but you can
> spend much time
> in a thing doing it good with less financial support, it works, but
> you have
> to make too many compromises in the rest of your life. That is my
> experience.

This is simply a hobby of mine. I don't feel like I'm compromising
anything. I'm also not getting financial support to read books or go
to movies, nor would I want it (because then I'd be forced to go,
even if I don't feel like it). Right now I'm fairly active again in
FPC, but there have been periods where I was less active because I
didn't feel like working on it. Thanks to the fact that I have no
obligations, this is no problem.

> Anyway I would like to spend (some) money for it because it is
> worth it.

I'm happy you like it! At this time, there is no way to speed up or
improve development by spending money on FPC-related things though.
Maybe that will change at some point in the future, but for now
that's how it is.

> And you are free to feel dutiful or not (that is in your mind, not
> in my).

If I would ask money for something, I would feel responsible for it.

Re: Delphi collaborates FPC?

On 1 sep 2006, at 13:46, Rainer Stratmann wrote:

>>> Then it gets a duty and gets boring.
>>
>> I so agree with that!  :-)
>
> Has someone another opinion, or is it only allowed to say something
> if someone
> has the same opinion???

Who said you or someone else cannot say anything because you have a
different opinion?

Re: Delphi collaborates FPC?

On 1 sep 2006, at 13:52, Leonardo M. RamX wrote:

> Maybe a third party can distribute a commercial version of
> FreePascal / Lazarus and share profits
> with the FPC community/team. Just like many linux distributions do
> (think of something like
> RedHat, Debian, etc.).

They can even do that without sharing any profits with us if they
want to. And they can provide professional support for it and
anything else they want.

Re: Delphi collaborates FPC?

On Fri, 1 Sep 2006, Rainer Stratmann wrote:

>>> Then it gets a duty and gets boring.
>>
>> I so agree with that!  :-)
>
> Has someone another opinion, or is it only allowed to say something if someone
> has the same opinion???
>
> sorry :-(

Nono,

Each can have his opinion.

In general, the attitude of the FPC core group has always been that
they do this for fun, and have no intention to start any commercial
- or even official, non-profit - activities related to FPC. It is
a hobby which is fun and should remain fun.

It has been explained several times that if the FPC users want some
extra 'official' structures, they must do it themselves.

We can provide webspace and a DNS name for such user-efforts, and I
personally am ready to act as a contact person, but that is as
far as it will go...

Re: Delphi collaborates FPC?

Leonardo M. Ramé
Yes, of course. But if i

--- Jonas Maebe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1 sep 2006, at 13:52, Leonardo M. RamX wrote:
>
> > Maybe a third party can distribute a commercial version of
> > FreePascal / Lazarus and share profits
> > with the FPC community/team. Just like many linux distributions do
> > (think of something like
> > RedHat, Debian, etc.).
>
> They can even do that without sharing any profits with us if they
> want to. And they can provide professional support for it and
> anything else they want.
>

> Jonas

Leonardo M. Ramé
http://leonardorame.blogspot.com

Re: Delphi collaborates FPC?

Leonardo M. Ramé
Yes, of course. Buf i think if you make money from an open source software it's your
responsibility to compensate in some way to the developers of that software.

Am Freitag, 1. September 2006 14:01 schrieb Jonas Maebe:

> >> I so agree with that!  :-)
> >
> > Has someone another opinion, or is it only allowed to say something
> > if someone
> > has the same opinion???
>
> Who said you or someone else cannot say anything because you have a
> different opinion?
May be that is an aspect of Mailing lists in general.

> Jonas

Re: Delphi collaborates FPC?

Rainer Stratmann
Am Freitag, 1. September 2006 14:15 schrieb Leonardo M. RamX:
> Yes, of course. Buf i think if you make money from an open source software
> it's your responsibility to compensate in some way to the developers of
> that software.
...can you explain it a little more? May be my english is not the best...

Re: Delphi collaborates FPC?

On 1 sep 2006, at 14:40, Rainer Stratmann wrote:

>> Who said you or someone else cannot say anything because you have a
>> different opinion?
>
> May be that is an aspect of Mailing lists in general.

It is not an aspect of this mailing list. Please don't be so prejudiced.

Re: Delphi collaborates FPC?

Rainer Stratmann
Am Freitag, 1. September 2006 14:37 schrieb Jonas Maebe:
> On 1 sep 2006, at 14:40, Rainer Stratmann wrote:
> >> Who said you or someone else cannot say anything because you have a
> >> different opinion?
> >
> > May be that is an aspect of Mailing lists in general.
>
> It is not an aspect of this mailing list. Please don't be so prejudiced.
My opinion is that it is a general aspect of (any) mailing listst, sorry.

Rainer