DLL and Shared Libs in FPC

Jason P Sage
I have read some things here and there, but can anyone simply tell me if its
now possible to write DLL's and Linux Shared Libraries with FPC now?

The last time I approached this topic, it was unsupported, and was still not
really something that was ready for prime time.

Jason P Sage

Re: DLL and Shared Libs in FPC

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho
On 8/6/06, Jason P Sage <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have read some things here and there, but can anyone simply tell me if its
> now possible to write DLL's and Linux Shared Libraries with FPC now?

I think this has being supported for a long time now. At least FPC
2.0.2 can build libraries without any problems.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho

Re: DLL and Shared Libs in FPC

Leonardo M. Ramé
Yes, i've been writing Dlls and shared libs from 2.0.0

--- Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 8/6/06, Jason P Sage <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I have read some things here and there, but can anyone simply tell me if its
> > now possible to write DLL's and Linux Shared Libraries with FPC now?
>
> I think this has being supported for a long time now. At least FPC
> 2.0.2 can build libraries without any problems.
>
> --
> Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho

Leonardo M. Ramé
http://leonardorame.blogspot.com

Re: DLL and Shared Libs in FPC

Micha Nelissen
Jason P Sage wrote:
> I have read some things here and there, but can anyone simply tell me if its
> now possible to write DLL's and Linux Shared Libraries with FPC now?
>
> The last time I approached this topic, it was unsupported, and was still not
> really something that was ready for prime time.

Do you mean import/export of classes, etc. as well ? Procedural 'C-like'
libraries have worked for a long time, as already stated.

Micha

Re: DLL and Shared Libs in FPC

Dominique Leducq-2
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho a écrit :
> On 8/6/06, Jason P Sage <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I have read some things here and there, but can anyone simply tell me
>> if its
>> now possible to write DLL's and Linux Shared Libraries with FPC now?
>
> I think this has being supported for a long time now. At least FPC
> 2.0.2 can build libraries without any problems.

I tried that with FPC 2.0.2 too, and it worked fine for win32 and
linux-i386 (32 bits), but not for linux-x86_64, there was a problem with
generating PIC (Position Independent Code). It worked with FPC 2.1.1
(devel branch), though. I didn't give a try at FPC 2.0.4 yet, so I don't
know...

Dominique

Re: DLL and Shared Libs in FPC

Peter Vreman
>> I think this has being supported for a long time now. At least FPC
>> 2.0.2 can build libraries without any problems.
> I tried that with FPC 2.0.2 too, and it worked fine for win32 and
> linux-i386 (32 bits), but not for linux-x86_64, there was a problem with
> generating PIC (Position Independent Code). It worked with FPC 2.1.1
> (devel branch), though. I didn't give a try at FPC 2.0.4 yet, so I don't
> know...

PIC support is in 2.1.1 only and will not be merged back to 2.0.x.

Re: DLL and Shared Libs in FPC

Jason P Sage
 [Jason Peter Sage] Thank You Everyone - All your responses were very
encouraging. My last attempt at making a DLL was 1.9.? FPC, so hearing
definitively that your guys are using 2.x to make dll's and shared libs
is simply great news to me.

I also appreciated the comment warning that could be summarized by saying I
(or we) should keep a watchful eye on this issue with 64bit Linux in the
next release to make sure that functionality (confirmed to work in
development versions pre 2.0.4) makes it to 2.0.4 final release (Which I'm
drooling to get my hands on because of the Linux CRT unit fix!)

THANK YOU ALL!
Jason P Sage