CrossFPC is finally released

Graeme Geldenhuys-3

Using Delphi IDE to write code, and FPC to compile or cross-compile to
64-bit Windows, 32-bit Linux etc.

http://www.crossfpc.com/

I believe it comes from the same authors that brought CrossKylix many
years back.

Re: CrossFPC is finally released

Adrian Veith-2
the website was dead for years and still nothing to download, but if I
am not wrong one of the makers is BERO who did the impressive besen
javascript in pascal.

Sounds interesting anyway - even if I see Object Pascal as a dead
language for the future.

Am 29.12.2012 19:41, schrieb Graeme Geldenhuys:

> Using Delphi IDE to write code, and FPC to compile or cross-compile to
> 64-bit Windows, 32-bit Linux etc.
>

> http://www.crossfpc.com/
>

> I believe it comes from the same authors that brought CrossKylix many
> years back.
>

> Regards,
>    - Graeme -

Re: CrossFPC is finally released

leledumbo
Administrator

Yeah, atm this project was going to die, but I'm surprised that it comes back and release something (first public beta in 7 years since the latest internal release, wow).

On 30/12/12 03:47, leledumbo wrote:
> first public beta in 7 years since the latest
> internal release, wow

Hey, that seems the norm these days. Lazarus was in beta for over 12 years!

Re: CrossFPC is finally released

Mattias Gaertner
On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 17:00:53 +0000
Graeme Geldenhuys <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 30/12/12 03:47, leledumbo wrote:
> > first public beta in 7 years since the latest
> > internal release, wow
>
> Hey, that seems the norm these days. Lazarus was in beta for over 12 years!

Actually it was beta for 10 years. Since 2002-08-18.

Re: CrossFPC is finally released

leledumbo
Administrator
lazarus was in beta for that many years, but this project has just got its FIRST beta in many years

Re: CrossFPC is finally released

Marco van de Voort
In our previous episode, leledumbo said:
> lazarus was in beta for that many years, but this project has just got its
> FIRST beta in many years

It looks to me that they more or less just decided to release what they had
got.

More far out features that were talked about on the maillist (like designer,
and debugging) are not in the release, and probably never will be.

I didn't mind those features back then, just didn't consider them very
realistic.

What back then annoyed me more was the idea to based on Delphi and Kylix
sources (with obvious non-freeness and (very) Linux/x86 specific behaviour).

It scares me that sources are still not available, despite the
announcement. But at least they seem to support ARM, so they probably
cleansed the worst from the sources. But without sources that is hard to
tell. It might be an horrible ifdef mess in unit libc.

They also must have done something about the Delphi side of things seeing
the amount of versions they support.

The trouble is that Kylix is nowadays much less relevant than back then, to
the extend that we put deprecated messages in the libc unit in FPC 2.6.2

Also the difference between Delphi and Lazarus as an IDE is much less,
cutting out another main motivator for the project.

Re: CrossFPC is finally released

Ralf A. Quint
At 03:01 PM 12/30/2012, leledumbo wrote:
lazarus was in beta for that many years, but this project has just got its
FIRST beta in many years

No so fast, they actually have to release something first.
On their web site it says "The first public download will be provided within late December 2012" in one place and "24 December 2012 (internal beta)" in another, actually available is still nothing.
Ok, still 33h to go 'til the end of December 2012 in this part of the world, let's see if something is going to happen (or not...)

Ralf

Re: CrossFPC is finally released

Gabor Boros

2012.12.31. 0:18 keltezéssel, Ralf A. Quint írta:
> At 03:01 PM 12/30/2012, leledumbo wrote:
> Ok, still 33h to go 'til the end of December 2012 in this part of the
> world, let's see if something is going to happen (or not...)
>
> Ralf

https://forums.embarcadero.com/thread.jspa?threadID=81323&tstart=0

Gabor

Re: CrossFPC is finally released

geneb
On Mon, 31 Dec 2012, Gabor Boros wrote:

> 2012.12.31. 0:18 keltezéssel, Ralf A. Quint írta:
>> At 03:01 PM 12/30/2012, leledumbo wrote:
>> Ok, still 33h to go 'til the end of December 2012 in this part of the
>> world, let's see if something is going to happen (or not...)
>>
>> Ralf
>
> https://forums.embarcadero.com/thread.jspa?threadID=81323&tstart=0

The moderators pretty much delete anything he posts.  At first guess it
would be due to overwhelming corporate butthurt. *laughs*

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007
http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of its kind.