Converting .m4a to .wav

Leonardo M. Ramé
Hi, does anyone knows if there's a library/class/function to handle .m4a (IPhone sound files)? also, if it allows conversion to other formats, such as .wav?

Thanks in advance,
Leonardo M. Ramé
http://leonardorame.blogspot.com

Re: Converting .m4a to .wav

Jonas Maebe-2

On 09 Mar 2011, at 13:52, Leonardo M. Ramé wrote:

> Hi, does anyone knows if there's a library/class/function to
> handle .m4a (IPhone sound files)?

m4a is a plain mp4 container with an aac-encoded soundtrack (and no
video). There is nothing iPhone-specific about it. Any library that
can handle mp4 containers and the aac audio codec will do (such as
ffmpeg).

Re: Converting .m4a to .wav

Matt Emson-2
On 09/03/2011 12:52, Leonardo M. Ramé wrote:
> Hi, does anyone knows if there's a library/class/function to handle .m4a (IPhone sound files)? also, if it allows conversion to other formats, such as .wav?

m4a is basically aac, so I'd look down that route. However, m4a files
can be protected by DRM, and those files will be much harder, maybe even
impossible, to convert. Though, I believe the extension becomes m4p when
protected, and also m4b when an audio book. The format is much richer
than MP3 or WAV as it can contain meta data such as notes, images and
chapter markers. You'll lose these when converting.

Re: Converting .m4a to .wav

Leonardo M. Ramé
> library/class/function to handle .m4a (IPhone sound files)?
> also, if it allows conversion to other formats, such as
> .wav?
>
> m4a is basically aac, so I'd look down that route. However,
> m4a files can be protected by DRM, and those files will be
> much harder, maybe even impossible, to convert. Though, I
> believe the extension becomes m4p when protected, and also
> m4b when an audio book. The format is much richer than MP3
> or WAV as it can contain meta data such as notes, images and
> chapter markers. You'll lose these when converting.

Thanks, I tested a sample file sent by my customer, and it was easy to convert with mplayer using this command:

mplayer -ao pcm test.m4a -ao pcm:file="output.wav"

As mplayer uses ffmpeg library I'm sure I can use it from fpc.