Congratulations to FPC!

Bee-6
Hi all,

After the awesome advanced image editor, Pixel at http://www.kanzelsberger.com.
Now, FPC is officially used as backend compiler for another great product,
Morfik at http://www.morfik.com. Congratulations! :)

PS. Morfik's logo for FPC is nice. ;)

-Bee-

has Bee.ography at:
http://beeography.wordpress.com

Re: Congratulations to FPC!

michael.vancanneyt

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007, Bisma Jayadi wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> After the awesome advanced image editor, Pixel at
> http://www.kanzelsberger.com. Now, FPC is officially used as backend compiler
> for another great product, Morfik at http://www.morfik.com. Congratulations!
> :)

We know about it. We cooperate with Morfik :-)

Re: Congratulations to FPC!

Bee-6
>> After the awesome advanced image editor, Pixel at
>> http://www.kanzelsberger.com. Now, FPC is officially used as backend compiler
>> for another great product, Morfik at http://www.morfik.com. Congratulations!
>
> We know about it. We cooperate with Morfik :-)

I knew about it too as I'm a member of Morfik Pioneer. Just want to share a good
news to others who doesn't know yet about Morfik. :)

-Bee-

has Bee.ography at:
http://beeography.wordpress.com

Re: Congratulations to FPC!

John Coppens
On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 15:42:05 +0700
Bisma Jayadi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I knew about it too as I'm a member of Morfik Pioneer. Just want to
> share a good news to others who doesn't know yet about Morfik. :)

Thanks for the heads-up, but the site at Morfik can use a little work to
convince potential customers:

1) On the home page, the Flash takes precedence over the drop-down
menues, so only the first 2-3 items are visible.

2) On the download page, the size of the page doesn't adapt to the
contents, so at least three of the text boxes show incomplete information.
(This is on Firefox 1.5.0.9, with the minimum text size)

3) Even though there's a Linux logo at the bottom, I can't find a Linux
version to download. (Maybe that has to do with 2))

4) I cannot find how to send anything to the Morfik site (no evident
feedback address or form), so I can't report these things (maybe
registering is needed?)

This is just meant as constructive criticism...

John
PS: The static FPC logo is nice, but yells for an italic font for the
'free pascal' text to convey the 'speed'.

Re: Congratulations to FPC!

Bee-6
> 1) On the home page, the Flash takes precedence over the drop-down
> menues, so only the first 2-3 items are visible.

I use FF 1.5.0.11, all menues are fine.

> 2) On the download page, the size of the page doesn't adapt to the
> contents, so at least three of the text boxes show incomplete information.
> (This is on Firefox 1.5.0.9, with the minimum text size)

Yup, a known issue since the beginning.

> 3) Even though there's a Linux logo at the bottom, I can't find a Linux
> version to download. (Maybe that has to do with 2))

Morfik IDE runs ONLY on windows platforms but the executable output can be run
on other platforms via cross compilation. This is where FPC shines. :)

> 4) I cannot find how to send anything to the Morfik site (no evident
> feedback address or form), so I can't report these things (maybe
> registering is needed?)

Correct, registration is required. I believe there's a "Register" item on the
top menu.

> PS: The static FPC logo is nice, but yells for an italic font for the
> 'free pascal' text to convey the 'speed'.

Agree. :D

-Bee-

has Bee.ography at:
http://beeography.wordpress.com

Re: Congratulations to FPC!

John Coppens
On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 21:49:11 +0700
Bisma Jayadi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > 3) Even though there's a Linux logo at the bottom, I can't find a
> > Linux version to download. (Maybe that has to do with 2))
>
> Morfik IDE runs ONLY on windows platforms but the executable output can
> be run on other platforms via cross compilation. This is where FPC
> shines. :)

Ok... Not interested, then. I can't imagine installing Windows to develop
Linux apps. I'd never trust my machine again ;-)

John

Re: Congratulations to FPC!

michael.vancanneyt

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007, John Coppens wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 21:49:11 +0700
> Bisma Jayadi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > > 3) Even though there's a Linux logo at the bottom, I can't find a
> > > Linux version to download. (Maybe that has to do with 2))
> >
> > Morfik IDE runs ONLY on windows platforms but the executable output can
> > be run on other platforms via cross compilation. This is where FPC
> > shines. :)
>
> Ok... Not interested, then. I can't imagine installing Windows to develop
> Linux apps. I'd never trust my machine again ;-)

That should be logically the next step for me: porting the Morfik IDE to Lazarus :-)

Re: Congratulations to FPC!

Bee-6
> That should be logically the next step for me:
> porting the Morfik IDE to Lazarus :-)

I even proposed a more "radical" solution for the next step:
porting the Morfik IDE to a Morfik (web) app. ;)

Yes, I know it sounds very hard to do but I believe it's very possible as
browser technology is getting more and more advance these days. This way,
developers are able to develop (code, compile, debug, link, etc) remotely on a
dedicated development server.

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007, Bisma Jayadi wrote:

> > That should be logically the next step for me: porting the Morfik IDE to
> > Lazarus :-)
>
> I even proposed a more "radical" solution for the next step:
> porting the Morfik IDE to a Morfik (web) app. ;)
>
> Yes, I know it sounds very hard to do but I believe it's very possible as
> browser technology is getting more and more advance these days. This way,
> developers are able to develop (code, compile, debug, link, etc) remotely on a
> dedicated development server.

You'd need a gigabit connection for that. There are far too many actions.
Code completion for instance would take forever.

And: in practice, there are only 2 browsers that more or less work for web apps,
and even then... I would never trust that.

Re: Congratulations to FPC!

John Coppens
On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 22:48:00 +0700
Bisma Jayadi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I even proposed a more "radical" solution for the next step:
> porting the Morfik IDE to a Morfik (web) app. ;)

I hope you don't mean 'over the web'. I just recovered my ADSL link, so I
can start developing again? Not for me either.

Even with everything local, loading 75+M of Java to have a decent editor
(which still isn't as decent as the one I use), doesn't sound
productivity-enhancing.

John

Re: Congratulations to FPC!

Florian Klämpfl
John Coppens schrieb:

> On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 22:48:00 +0700
> Bisma Jayadi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I even proposed a more "radical" solution for the next step:
>> porting the Morfik IDE to a Morfik (web) app. ;)
>
> I hope you don't mean 'over the web'. I just recovered my ADSL link, so I
> can start developing again? Not for me either.
>
> Even with everything local, loading 75+M of Java to have a decent editor

Ajax has nothing to do with Java applets.

> (which still isn't as decent as the one I use), doesn't sound
> productivity-enhancing.
>
> John

Re: Congratulations to FPC!

On 27 Mar 2007, at 20:12, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> You'd need a gigabit connection for that. There are far too many
> actions.
> Code completion for instance would take forever.

Not necessarily. Type e.g. some words in the search box at
   http://livesearch.alltheweb.com/

and see how quickly the related search queries pop up below (requires
IE or FireFox). The actual search results on the right takes longer,
but a few megabytes of source code should be searchable at least as
quickly as related search queries (and they appear pretty much
instantly for me).

Re: Congratulations to FPC!

John Coppens
On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 20:59:50 +0200
Florian Klaempfl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Even with everything local, loading 75+M of Java to have a decent
> > editor
>
> Ajax has nothing to do with Java applets.

No, I meant that a complete HTML based IDE would need a local editor,
which I suppose wouldn't be written in Ajax (more correctly Javascript)?

John

Re: Congratulations to FPC!

Bee-6
> You'd need a gigabit connection for that. There are far too many actions.
> Code completion for instance would take forever.

I don't think so. I've seen an ajax application that performs a similar
operation to code completion on the web (I use ADSL connection) and it performs
very well. Though it's not instantaneous but it doesn't take forever neither, it
only takes about 2-3 seconds which is fast enough to me. I believe there some
mechamisms/logics that could boost the performance.

> And: in practice, there are only 2 browsers that more or less work for web apps,
> and even then... I would never trust that.

Due to the web app complexity, I think it'd be alright to target 1-2 specific
browsers that able to provide advanced/required functions.

-Bee-

has Bee.ography at:
http://beeography.wordpress.com

Re: Congratulations to FPC!

Cesar Romero-2
I saw 2 threads in borland non-tech and references to slashdot about
morfik patents:
"Subject: Morfik Patents AJAX Compiler"
Is that what you guys are celebrating?
I saw too that is  a application patent not applyed yet, but I dee
desagree with this kind of behavior, not yours, but from morfik,
hope never need to use this software.

[]s

Cesar Romero

Cesar Romero schrieb:
> I saw 2 threads in borland non-tech and references to slashdot about
> morfik patents:
> "Subject: Morfik Patents AJAX Compiler"
> Is that what you guys are celebrating?
> I saw too that is  a application patent not applyed yet, but I dee
> desagree with this kind of behavior, not yours, but from morfik,
> hope never need to use this software.

As soon as you sell general purpose software, you need patents, thought
they are a pain, waste of time and money, and even most people don't
like them. But you need them in commercial environment: First, to get
investor's money. With patents you "prove" the investors that you're
innovative. Investors usually know little about technology, they know
only about money and numbers (while we (engineers/developers) don't know
about money ;)). So they need some measure for your technology and the
easiest are the number of patents you own.
Further, to protect you at least somehow against other companies which
could sue you: you violate their patents, they violate yours. Cold war
played with patents ...

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007, Cesar Romero wrote:

> I saw 2 threads in borland non-tech and references to slashdot about morfik
> patents:
> "Subject: Morfik Patents AJAX Compiler"
> Is that what you guys are celebrating?
> I saw too that is  a application patent not applyed yet, but I dee desagree
> with this kind of behavior, not yours, but from morfik,
> hope never need to use this software.

Do you think Borland has no patents ?
Probably 10% of the lines of object pascal you write, will use a patent of Borland.
For example, event handlers are patented.

Does that stop you from using Delphi or Object Pascal ?

Patents are a meaningless concept, and serve only to make money.

Re: Congratulations to FPC!

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho
Not to mention Microsoft, Apple and IBM software patents.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho