Compile fpc twice or only once during install?

Compile fpc twice or only once during install?

Bo Berglund
When I install FPC/Lazarus on new Linux systems I use a script I wrote
several years ago. It is cofigured for the actual versions to install
but otherwise it is self-contained.

What it does concerning fpc is:
- Get the tagged version of the sources from svn (typically 3.0.4)
- Get the seed compiler 3.0.0, which I have stored on my website
- Build all using the seed compiler
- Install sources etc.

Now I wonder if I should add a second "make all" after pointing to the
newly built 3.0.4 such that the final result is fpc 3.0.4 built from
sources compiled by itself?

Or is this superfluous?

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden

Re: Compile fpc twice or only once during install?

Christo Crause

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019, 14:19 Bo Berglund, <[hidden email]> wrote:
When I install FPC/Lazarus on new Linux systems I use a script I wrote
several years ago. It is cofigured for the actual versions to install
but otherwise it is self-contained.

What it does concerning fpc is:
- Get the tagged version of the sources from svn (typically 3.0.4)
- Get the seed compiler 3.0.0, which I have stored on my website
- Build all using the seed compiler
- Install sources etc.

Now I wonder if I should add a second "make all" after pointing to the
newly built 3.0.4 such that the final result is fpc 3.0.4 built from
sources compiled by itself?

Or is this superfluous?

AFAIK the make file cycle through the compiler build process 3, starting a new cycle with the compiler from the previous cycle. So no need to make all a 2nd time, it is implicit in the make file recipe.

Re: Compile fpc twice or only once during install?

Bo Berglund
On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 15:29:59 +0200, Christo Crause
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Now I wonder if I should add a second "make all" after pointing to the
>> newly built 3.0.4 such that the final result is fpc 3.0.4 built from
>> sources compiled by itself?
>>
>> Or is this superfluous?
>>

>AFAIK the make file cycle through the compiler build process 3, starting a
>new cycle with the compiler from the previous cycle. So no need to make all
>a 2nd time, it is implicit in the make file recipe.

Thanks! No need to change the script then! :)

Christo Crause <[hidden email]> schrieb am Fr., 12. Juli 2019, 15:30:

[...]

Correct. In fact it also throws in an additional WPOCYCLE (two compilations) to optimize the compiler further. ;)