Compile error

Neil Kittipalo
I used to use Turbo Pascal years ago and thought I'd try Free Pascal.
I'm running Suse 9.2, but every time I try to compile or run one of the
demos I get,
Error: Error while linking

Any ideas?
Neil

Re: Compile error

Michael Van Canneyt

On Tue, 24 May 2005, Neil Kittipalo wrote:

> I used to use Turbo Pascal years ago and thought I'd try Free Pascal.
> I'm running Suse 9.2, but every time I try to compile or run one of the demos
> I get,
> Error: Error while linking

We'll need some more verbose error message.

If there are no other messages, Please try compiling with the -s option,
and run the generated ppas.sh script. It should be more verbose...

Re: Compile error

Inga Petuhhov
On Tue, 24 May 2005, Neil Kittipalo wrote:

> I used to use Turbo Pascal years ago and thought I'd try Free Pascal.
> I'm running Suse 9.2, but every time I try to compile or run one of the
> demos I get,
> Error: Error while linking

Under Windows/DOS it means, that previous .exe is running and linker can't
write new .exe on the disk.

Inga

Re: Compile error

L505
If you don't have binutils installed this can happen. Also in some cases libc6 devel
package is required.

On Debian I would type

apt-get install binutils

and then if you get some different errors about lpthread, or you still have issue
linking then

apt-get install libc6-devel

On Suse, I'm not sure but you'd do something similar with RPM packages or what not.

Lars

| I used to use Turbo Pascal years ago and thought I'd try Free Pascal.
| I'm running Suse 9.2, but every time I try to compile or run one of the
| demos I get,
| Error: Error while linking
|
| Any ideas?
| Neil

Re: Compile error

L505
attn: gnu linux maintainers

| apt-get install binutils
| apt-get install libc6-devel

In fact, maybe these two packages above should be a -requirement- for the freepascal
package in the fpc.rpm and fpc.deb ?

What do you think, should this be changed?

Currently, at the debian website here is what fp-compiler depends on:
http://packages.debian.org/testing/devel/fp-compiler

No binutils or libc6-devel dependencies.

Regards,
Lars

Re: Compile error

CoLinux505