Can fpc 3.0 release be installed using apt-get on Linux Mint?

Re: Can fpc 3.0 release be installed using apt-get on Linux Mint?

Jonas Maebe-2
Bo Berglund wrote:
> But now I see that further down there is a section AMD64/x86_64, which
> I did not use since it said AMD. But apparently that is the one for 64
> bit. Sigh!

I've added "Intel 64" to that list, which is the name that Intel uses.
Both AMD64 and x86_64 are names for the architecture though (unrelated
to the processor brand), while "Intel 64" is Intel's own brand name for
that architecture.

> So how do I get rid of the erroneous fpc? I have no idea at all what
> the install.sh script did so I can revert it....

You don't have to. If you install the x86_64 version on top of it, it
will become the new default. The i386 compiler will still be available
via ppc386 and "fpc -Pi386".

> But, should not the 32 bit compiler work also in my Linux Mint 17
> machine? Even though it has an Intel 64 bit CPU...

The compiler works. The problem you got was caused by not having 32 bit
versions of other development packages installed.

Re: Can fpc 3.0 release be installed using apt-get on Linux Mint?

Bo Berglund
On Tue, 08 Dec 2015 09:14:08 +0100, Jonas Maebe
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> So how do I get rid of the erroneous fpc? I have no idea at all what
>> the install.sh script did so I can revert it....
>
>You don't have to. If you install the x86_64 version on top of it, it
>will become the new default. The i386 compiler will still be available
>via ppc386 and "fpc -Pi386".

Thanks, I downloaded the x64 tar file instead and extracted it in
parallel to the i386 one in the Downloads directory, then entered the
dir and commanded:
sudo sh install.sh

And it worked fine. FPC is now the x64 version.

Then I returned to the Lazarus folder where I had checked out
lazarus_1_6_RC1 and issued make bigide.

Now there were some warnings like this:
/usr/bin/ld: warning: ../link.res contains output sections; did you
forget -T?
But it did finish without errors.

When I type in ./startlazarus on the command line Lazarus seems to
start up OK, but then it displays the "Configure Lazarus IDE" dialog
box where it asks for the path to fpc sources...

But I have no idea where the sources were placed by the "very big with
everything" file I downloaded to install fpc x64 version...

I assume the install.sh script has put the sources somewhere on the
disk, for example below /usr/local, but I am not Linux versed enough
to know how to find the exact location.

Could someone here please tell me where?

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden

On 08/12/15 18:04, Bo Berglund wrote:
> But I have no idea where the sources were placed by the "very big with
> everything" file I downloaded to install fpc x64 version...

It does not install the sources. You can download them separately from
http://www.freepascal.org/download.var (in the "Source" section). It's
no installer, just an archive that you can unpack anywhere.

Re: Can fpc 3.0 release be installed using apt-get on Linux Mint?

Bo Berglund
On Tue, 8 Dec 2015 18:39:30 +0100, Jonas Maebe
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 08/12/15 18:04, Bo Berglund wrote:
>> But I have no idea where the sources were placed by the "very big with
>> everything" file I downloaded to install fpc x64 version...
>
>It does not install the sources. You can download them separately from
>http://www.freepascal.org/download.var (in the "Source" section). It's
>no installer, just an archive that you can unpack anywhere.

Thanks,
that was the last piece of the puzzle.
Lazarus 1.6RC1 is now working with fpc 3.0.0 in my Linux Mint 17.2
Cinnamon machine!

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden