Can I encorperate PDF files

John Youngquist
I have an application running nicely in FP. What a great system.

I would like to add a help facility that would search a topic in a
PDF format manual and display the appropriate page. It there
Module to read and search PDF file available.

John Youngquist

Re: Can I encorperate PDF files

John Coppens
On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 12:35:07 -0500
John Youngquist <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would like to add a help facility that would search a topic in a
> PDF format manual and display the appropriate page. It there
> Module to read and search PDF file available.

An easy solution in Linux would be to call xpdf from the program. You can
specify the PDF on the line, and either a page number to jump to, or a
named destination (if they were defined inside the pdf).

John

Re: Can I incorporate PDF files?

David W Noon
On Fri, 2009-02-20 at 15:49 -0200, John Coppens wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 12:35:07 -0500
> John Youngquist <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I would like to add a help facility that would search a topic in a
> > PDF format manual and display the appropriate page. It there
> > Module to read and search PDF file available.
>
> An easy solution in Linux would be to call xpdf from the program. You can
> specify the PDF on the line, and either a page number to jump to, or a
> named destination (if they were defined inside the pdf).

What causes you to believe everyone has XPDF installed?

A more widely used option would be Ghostview, but even that cannot be
guaranteed.

Dave  [RLU #314465]

Re: Can I incorporate PDF files?

leledumbo
Administrator
Windows doesn't have X, so it's a bad idea to rely on XPdf (except if you don't mind about cross platformness).

Re: Can I incorporate PDF files?

Krishna-33
On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 1:45 AM, David W Noon <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-02-20 at 15:49 -0200, John Coppens wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 12:35:07 -0500
>> John Youngquist <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > I would like to add a help facility that would search a topic in a
>> > PDF format manual and display the appropriate page. It there
>> > Module to read and search PDF file available.

mu-pdf and fitz might be an interesting option. It is the engine that
powers sumatrapdf.

Cheers,
  --Krishna

--
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound
they make as they fly by.