CSV

Antal-2
> For example: if you want that the csv string 'aaaa;bb bb;cccc' becomes a
> TStrings with 3 items (aaaa, bb bb and  cccc), is necessary to transform
> 'aaaa;bb bb;cccc' into 'aaaa;"bb bb";cccc'
> But to do this in a generic way, without knowing if determined value has
> space than you have to parse each item of the csv, check if has space
> and then quote. But in this case is better to add the string directly
> through add method.
I'm also using CSV handling in my programs, and I do it in the following
way, since I also have these problems:
* I use not ";" separator, but TAB (#9) separator, which is somehow the
same, though it is very common to have texts containing ";" or other
special characters like " or blank-space, which can be messy in the real
";" separated tables.
* I'm reading the file as 'File of char', which anyway permit a better
parsing, but it's a real slow solution, it takes a lot to process a file
of char, byte by byte.
If useful, I can share the codes with you, but I'm not really satisfied
with this solution neither.

Are there any other solutions available for this?
Or how to speed up reading and processing the raw file?

Re: CSV

Luiz Americo Pereira Camara-2
Antal escreveu:

>> For example: if you want that the csv string 'aaaa;bb bb;cccc' becomes a
>> TStrings with 3 items (aaaa, bb bb and  cccc), is necessary to transform
>> 'aaaa;bb bb;cccc' into 'aaaa;"bb bb";cccc'
>> But to do this in a generic way, without knowing if determined value has
>> space than you have to parse each item of the csv, check if has space
>> and then quote. But in this case is better to add the string directly
>> through add method.
> I'm also using CSV handling in my programs, and I do it in the
> following way, since I also have these problems:
> * I use not ";" separator, but TAB (#9) separator, which is somehow
> the same, though it is very common to have texts containing ";" or
> other special characters like " or blank-space, which can be messy in
> the real ";" separated tables.
The function is delimiter agnostic: you can use any delimiter
> * I'm reading the file as 'File of char', which anyway permit a better
> parsing, but it's a real slow solution, it takes a lot to process a
> file of char, byte by byte.
> If useful, I can share the codes with you, but I'm not really
> satisfied with this solution neither.
>
> Are there any other solutions available for this?
> Or how to speed up reading and processing the raw file?
Use ReadLn??. BlockRead??

The function is really simple. Look:

procedure CSVToStrings(const ACSVStr: String; AStrList: TStrings;
Delimiter: Char = ';');
var
  pos1,pos2:Integer;
begin
  pos1:=1;
  pos2:=pos(Delimiter,ACSVStr);
  while pos1 < pos2 do
  begin
    AStrList.Add(Copy(ACSVStr,pos1,pos2-pos1));
    pos1:=pos2+1;
    pos2:=posex(Delimiter,ACSVStr,pos1);
  end;
  if pos1 < length(Trim(ACSVStr)) then
    AStrList.Add(Copy(ACSVStr,pos1,succ(length(ACSVStr)-pos1)));
end;

Luiz

Re: CSV

micahel schneider
Am Sonntag, 4. Februar 2007 13:37 schrieb Antal:

> > For example: if you want that the csv string 'aaaa;bb bb;cccc' becomes a
> > TStrings with 3 items (aaaa, bb bb and  cccc), is necessary to transform
> > 'aaaa;bb bb;cccc' into 'aaaa;"bb bb";cccc'
> > But to do this in a generic way, without knowing if determined value has
> > space than you have to parse each item of the csv, check if has space
> > and then quote. But in this case is better to add the string directly
> > through add method.
>
> I'm also using CSV handling in my programs, and I do it in the following
> way, since I also have these problems:
> * I use not ";" separator, but TAB (#9) separator, which is somehow the
> same, though it is very common to have texts containing ";" or other
> special characters like " or blank-space, which can be messy in the real
> ";" separated tables.
> * I'm reading the file as 'File of char', which anyway permit a better
> parsing, but it's a real slow solution, it takes a lot to process a file
> of char, byte by byte.
> If useful, I can share the codes with you, but I'm not really satisfied
> with this solution neither.
>
> Are there any other solutions available for this?
> Or how to speed up reading and processing the raw file?

found in the net:
ftp://ftp.cncware.com/pub/fpc/csv.pas