CRTI.O and CRTN.O not found

Anthony Walter-3
A user on my forums sent me this message. I've experienced the problem as wee for quite some time. I was wondering if anyone has a universal fix for it yet since it seems to happen so frequently to many people?

From Artie:

I just installed Lazarus 1.5 and it compiled well on my Debian 7.8 system. However, during compilation there were two warnings:

-crti.o not found
-crtn.o not found

When compiling my projects these two warnings always show up, pointing to the "end." at the end of the lpr file.

Still, the projects run fine so far.

Re: CRTI.O and CRTN.O not found

Marco van de Voort
In our previous episode, Anthony Walter said:
> A user on my forums sent me this message. I've experienced the problem as
> wee for quite some time. I was wondering if anyone has a universal fix for
> it yet since it seems to happen so frequently to many people?

Basically the problem is that files that come with the system (read:
distribution) are not detected.

There are two common causes:

1. The user didn't install Linux properly, and didn't prepare the system
   for development. ( installing package "build-essentials" on Debian
iirc)
2. The files are installed but not found. The line to check is the -Fl
    line in fpc.cfg. This can be a mistake in FPC packaging, or
build-essentials being installed after FPC, thus the FPC package's detection
being run while the files were not there yet.

So in general the solution is to check your distribution's documentation and
install base development packages (if you want to limit the packages you
install, glibc-devel, make, binutils and gdb should be the bulk of it), and
only then install FPC. Remove/reinstall FPC if necessary.

Re: CRTI.O and CRTN.O not found

Peter
On 05/04/15 20:57, Anthony Walter wrote:

> A user on my forums sent me this message. I've experienced the problem
> as wee for quite some time. I was wondering if anyone has a universal
> fix for it yet since it seems to happen so frequently to many people?
>
> From Artie:
>
> I just installed Lazarus 1.5 and it compiled well on my Debian 7.8
> system. However, during compilation there were two warnings:
>
> -crti.o not found
> -crtn.o not found
>
> When compiling my projects these two warnings always show up, pointing
> to the "end." at the end of the lpr file.
>
> Still, the projects run fine so far.

Re: CRTI.O and CRTN.O not found

Bart-48
On 4/14/15, Peter <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I just installed Lazarus 1.5 and it compiled well on my Debian 7.8
>> system. However, during compilation there were two warnings:
>>
>> -crti.o not found
>> -crtn.o not found

First google result: http://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php?topic=22393.0

Bart

Re: CRTI.O and CRTN.O not found

Anthony Walter-3
Peter: I always install the build-essentials package whenever I setup a debian system, yet I occasionally get both -crti.o not found and -crtn.o not found

Bart: That first google result you linked relates to mavericks and not debian

Re: CRTI.O and CRTN.O not found

Mark Morgan Lloyd-5
Marco van de Voort wrote:

> In our previous episode, Anthony Walter said:
>> A user on my forums sent me this message. I've experienced the problem as
>> wee for quite some time. I was wondering if anyone has a universal fix for
>> it yet since it seems to happen so frequently to many people?
> Basically the problem is that files that come with the system (read:
> distribution) are not detected.
> There are two common causes:
> 1. The user didn't install Linux properly, and didn't prepare the system
>    for development. ( installing package "build-essentials" on Debian
> iirc)
> 2. The files are installed but not found. The line to check is the -Fl
>     line in fpc.cfg. This can be a mistake in FPC packaging, or
> build-essentials being installed after FPC, thus the FPC package's detection
> being run while the files were not there yet.
I've seen this on Solaris where the FPC installation script was broken,
but otherwise the only time it happens is if I move an fpc.cfg file from
one system to another where the underlying gcc etc. version is different.
--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

Re: CRTI.O and CRTN.O not found

Peter
On 15/04/15 05:39, Anthony Walter wrote:

> Peter: I always install the build-essentials package whenever I setup
> a debian system, yet I occasionally get both -crti.o not found and
> -crtn.o not found
>
> Bart: That first google result you linked relates to mavericks and not
> debian

Re: CRTI.O and CRTN.O not found

Peter