Building FPC with gdb support for SPARC

Mark Morgan Lloyd-5
I think I've worked out how to build fpc and fp 2.0.4 for SPARC starting off
from 2.0.0, many thanks in particular to Jonas. The next question, before I try
moving the result to a virgin machine, is how to add gdb support.

I eventually found the libraries at
ftp://ftp.freepascal.org/pub/fpc/contrib/libgdb/v6.3/ and figured I'd try using
them rather than ploughing my way through the toolchain sources which looked
like a 60Mb download for Debian "Sarge". After a certain amount of trial and
error I worked out that the files needed to be put in /fpcsrc/libgdb/linux for
make to use them.

It looks as though the point at which they are initially used is OK:

make -C gdbint smart
make[4]: Entering directory `/fpcsrc/packages/base/gdbint'
make all LINKSMART=1 CREATESMART=1
make[5]: Entering directory `/fpcsrc/packages/base/gdbint'
/bin/mkdir -p units/sparc-linux
/fpcsrc/compiler/ppcsparc -XX -CX -Ur -Xs  -n -Fu/fpcsrc/rtl/units/sparc-linux
        -Fl/fpcsrc/libgdb/linux -Fo/fpcsrc/libgdb/linux -FE. -FUunits/sp
/usr/bin/ar: creating units/sparc-linux/libpgdbver.a
make gdbint.ppu GOTGDBVER=1
make[6]: Entering directory `/fpcsrc/packages/base/gdbint'
Using GDB GDB_V603
/fpcsrc/compiler/ppcsparc -XX -CX -Ur -Xs  -n -Fu/fpcsrc/rtl/units/sparc-linux
        -Fl/fpcsrc/libgdb/linux -Fo/fpcsrc/libgdb/linux -FE. -FUunits/sp
/bin/rm -f gdbver gdbver.o
make[6]: Leaving directory `/fpcsrc/packages/base/gdbint'
/fpcsrc/compiler/ppcsparc -XX -CX -Ur -Xs  -n -Fu/fpcsrc/rtl/units/sparc-linux
        -Fl/fpcsrc/libgdb/linux -Fo/fpcsrc/libgdb/linux -FE. -FUunits/sp
/usr/bin/ar: creating units/sparc-linux/libpgdbcon.a
make[5]: Leaving directory `/fpcsrc/packages/base/gdbint'
make[4]: Leaving directory `/fpcsrc/packages/base/gdbint'

(Sorry, that's slightly truncated by my telnet client).

However further on things go badly wrong:

/bin/mkdir -p /fpcsrc/ide/units/sparc-linux
/fpcsrc/compiler/ppcsparc -dBrowserCol -dGDB -Ur -Xs  -n -Ur -dNOCATCH
  -Fu/fpcsrc/compiler -Fu/fpcsrc/compiler/sparc -Fu/fpcsrc/compiler/targes
make[5]: Leaving directory `/fpcsrc/ide/compiler'
make[4]: Leaving directory `/fpcsrc/ide'
make testgdb
make[4]: Entering directory `/fpcsrc/ide'
LibGDB found in /fpcsrc/libgdb/linux/libgdb.a
make[4]: Leaving directory `/fpcsrc/ide'
make fpc_all
make[4]: Entering directory `/fpcsrc/ide'
/fpcsrc/compiler/ppcsparc -Fl/fpcsrc/libgdb/linux -Ur -Xs  -n -Sg
  -Fu/fpcsrc/rtl/units/sparc-linux -Fu/fpcsrc/fv/units/sparc-linux -Fu/fpcsrc/s
/fpcsrc/libgdb/linux/libgdb.a(gdbtypes.o)(.text+0x1154): In function
  `create_array_type':
/mnt/hda1/florian/gdb-6.3.woody/gdb/gdbtypes.c:752: undefined reference
  to `__muldi3'
/fpcsrc/libgdb/linux/libgdb.a(ada-lang.o)(.text+0x1098): In function
  `max_of_size':
/mnt/hda1/florian/gdb-6.3.woody/gdb/ada-lang.c:519: undefined reference to
  `__ashldi3'

And so on. The obvious questions are:

i)   Are precompiled binaries of the gdb interface library available for Debian
Sarge? So far I can't track down an appropriate standard package.

ii)  Can I compile them myself without breaking my toolchain, and if so what
configure parameters etc. do I need?

iii) What am I missing that is blindingly obvious? :-)

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

Re: Building FPC with gdb support for SPARC

Jonas Maebe-2

On 14 aug 2006, at 12:21, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> /fpcsrc/compiler/ppcsparc -Fl/fpcsrc/libgdb/linux -Ur -Xs  -n -Sg
>   -Fu/fpcsrc/rtl/units/sparc-linux -Fu/fpcsrc/fv/units/sparc-linux -
> Fu/fpcsrc/s
> /fpcsrc/libgdb/linux/libgdb.a(gdbtypes.o)(.text+0x1154): In function
>   `create_array_type':
> /mnt/hda1/florian/gdb-6.3.woody/gdb/gdbtypes.c:752: undefined
> reference
>   to `__muldi3'
> /fpcsrc/libgdb/linux/libgdb.a(ada-lang.o)(.text+0x1098): In function
>   `max_of_size':
> /mnt/hda1/florian/gdb-6.3.woody/gdb/ada-lang.c:519: undefined
> reference to
>   `__ashldi3'

This can normally be solved by linking in libgcc. Try adding {$l gcc}
to the gdbint unit.

Re: Building FPC with gdb support for SPARC

Marco van de Voort
> On 14 aug 2006, at 12:21, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>
> > /fpcsrc/compiler/ppcsparc -Fl/fpcsrc/libgdb/linux -Ur -Xs  -n -Sg
> >   -Fu/fpcsrc/rtl/units/sparc-linux -Fu/fpcsrc/fv/units/sparc-linux -
> > Fu/fpcsrc/s
> > /fpcsrc/libgdb/linux/libgdb.a(gdbtypes.o)(.text+0x1154): In function
> >   `create_array_type':
> > /mnt/hda1/florian/gdb-6.3.woody/gdb/gdbtypes.c:752: undefined
> > reference
> >   to `__muldi3'
> > /fpcsrc/libgdb/linux/libgdb.a(ada-lang.o)(.text+0x1098): In function
> >   `max_of_size':
> > /mnt/hda1/florian/gdb-6.3.woody/gdb/ada-lang.c:519: undefined
> > reference to
> >   `__ashldi3'
>
> This can normally be solved by linking in libgcc. Try adding {$l gcc}
> to the gdbint unit.

2.0.4's and recent 2.1.1/2.0.3's, (rougly all versions since mid-end june),
put

  -XLAc=c,gcc

in your fpc.cfg to fix similar cases globally.

On 14 aug 2006, at 13:20, Marco van de Voort wrote:

>> This can normally be solved by linking in libgcc. Try adding {$l gcc}
>> to the gdbint unit.
>
> 2.0.4's and recent 2.1.1/2.0.3's, (rougly all versions since mid-
> end june),
> put
>
>   -XLAc=c,gcc
>
> in your fpc.cfg to fix similar cases globally.

I thought this was not supposed to be publicised/encouraged? (and
that for that reason you didn't add this option to the help pages?)

Re: Building FPC with gdb support for SPARC

Marco van de Voort
> On 14 aug 2006, at 13:20, Marco van de Voort wrote:

> >> This can normally be solved by linking in libgcc. Try adding {$l gcc}
> >> to the gdbint unit.
> >
> > 2.0.4's and recent 2.1.1/2.0.3's, (rougly all versions since mid-
> > end june),
> > put
> >
> >   -XLAc=c,gcc
> >
> > in your fpc.cfg to fix similar cases globally.
>
> I thought this was not supposed to be publicised/encouraged? (and
> that for that reason you didn't add this option to the help pages?)

Jonas is right. Sorry, this is undocumented behaviour. Undocumented on
purpose, so there is a fair chance it might change in the future.

Marco van de Voort wrote:

> > >   -XLAc=c,gcc
> > >
> > > in your fpc.cfg to fix similar cases globally.
> >
> > I thought this was not supposed to be publicised/encouraged? (and
> > that for that reason you didn't add this option to the help pages?)
>
> Jonas is right. Sorry, this is undocumented behaviour. Undocumented on
> purpose, so there is a fair chance it might change in the future.

OK, noted. However if it gets me out of the initial hole it's a very good start.

What is the correct solution to the problem, and allowing for the fact that the
available binary libgdb was SPARC where does this leave somebody building for
another architecture- do they need to compile the full GNU toolchain then patch
the source to pick it up?

On 14 aug 2006, at 14:46, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> What is the correct solution to the problem, and allowing for the
> fact that the
> available binary libgdb was SPARC where does this leave somebody
> building for
> another architecture- do they need to compile the full GNU
> toolchain then patch
> the source to pick it up?

The {$l gcc} does not have to be added to the GNU toolchain sources,
only to our interfacing unit with libgdb (namely packages/base/gdbint/
gdbint.pp). And only for certain platforms that need it (not all of
them do, which is why it isn't there yet).

Jonas Maebe wrote:

> The {$l gcc} does not have to be added to the GNU toolchain sources,
> only to our interfacing unit with libgdb (namely packages/base/gdbint/
> gdbint.pp). And only for certain platforms that need it (not all of
> them do, which is why it isn't there yet).

OK, noted for reference. I was assuming that the addition was to the FPC stuff
rather than the toolchain.

Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> OK, noted for reference. I was assuming that the addition was to the FPC stuff
> rather than the toolchain.

Requires gcc.o, which I presume implies that the entire toolchain has to be on
the system. Can I generate that without risking breaking things?

On 14 Aug 2006, at 23:58, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

>> OK, noted for reference. I was assuming that the addition was to
>> the FPC stuff
>> rather than the toolchain.
>
> Requires gcc.o, which I presume implies that the entire toolchain
> has to be on
> the system. Can I generate that without risking breaking things?

No, it should require libgcc.a, which should be installed on your
system already.

Re: Building FPC with gdb support for SPARC

Marco van de Voort
> On 14 Aug 2006, at 23:58, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>
> >> OK, noted for reference. I was assuming that the addition was to
> >> the FPC stuff
> >> rather than the toolchain.
> >
> > Requires gcc.o, which I presume implies that the entire toolchain
> > has to be on
> > the system. Can I generate that without risking breaking things?
>
> No, it should require libgcc.a, which should be installed on your
> system already.

In a later msg you say {$l gcc} instead of {$linklib gcc}.

It should be the latter.

On 15 Aug 2006, at 09:35, Marco van de Voort wrote:

>> No, it should require libgcc.a, which should be installed on your
>> system already.
>
> In a later msg you say {$l gcc} instead of {$linklib gcc}.

Ah yes, of course.

Jonas Maebe wrote:

> > In a later msg you say {$l gcc} instead of {$linklib gcc}.
>
> Ah yes, of course.

Yes, I was looking at that commented-out line. I've set another build going,
I'll be back in about six hours...

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

Re: Building FPC with gdb support for SPARC

Mark Morgan Lloyd-5
The build worked and I appear to have an intact fpc and fp. However fp's
disassembly window is very fragile- SEGV at the drop of a hat.

I find I can't transfer the compiled bundle to another machine- I get "fp:
/lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3' not found (required by fp)" which I presume
is telling me that it can't find the library version it was built against. I'm
going to drop that as an experiment since that machine is too ponderous to build
the compiler in less than a day, and upgrading anything on it isn't feasible.

Going back to the SEGV problem, is there any way that somebody with my minimal
experience can tackle this?

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

Re: Building FPC with gdb support for SPARC

Tomas Hajny
Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> The build worked and I appear to have an intact fpc and fp. However fp's
> disassembly window is very fragile- SEGV at the drop of a hat.
>
> I find I can't transfer the compiled bundle to another machine- I get "fp:
> /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3' not found (required by fp)" which I
> presume
> is telling me that it can't find the library version it was built against.
> I'm
> going to drop that as an experiment since that machine is too ponderous to
> build
> the compiler in less than a day, and upgrading anything on it isn't
> feasible.

I guess that you could still use the cross-compilation trick - bring the
library from the target machine to your build machine and change the
search paths (probably manually - using "-s" option and playing with the
generated script.res before running the created ppas.sh) before linking.

Some more tips (just ideas): Only IDE (fp) should be using libc (assuming
we talk about Linux target), so only building that one on the target
machine (make all in the IDE directory) should reduce the building time.
Finally, it might be possible to build everything on the build machine
(again use -s option when building, remove all "rm" commands from the
generated ppas.sh before running it and possibly skip the linker too),
transfer everything to target machine and relink there.

> Going back to the SEGV problem, is there any way that somebody with my
> minimal
> experience can tackle this?

Possibly. You might try it with debug info (and line info) enabled binary
to get backtrace. That might possibly help to shed some light on what's
happening there at least; of course it doesn't automatically mean that it
gets resolved, but there's a chance.

Tomas

Re: Building FPC with gdb support for SPARC

Florian Klämpfl
Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> The build worked and I appear to have an intact fpc and fp. However fp's
> disassembly window is very fragile- SEGV at the drop of a hat.
>
> I find I can't transfer the compiled bundle to another machine- I get "fp:
> /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3' not found (required by fp)" which I presume
> is telling me that it can't find the library version it was built against.

Usual unix library mess. Transfering binaries from one machine to another is
often a problem.

> I'm
> going to drop that as an experiment since that machine is too ponderous to build
> the compiler in less than a day, and upgrading anything on it isn't feasible.
>
> Going back to the SEGV problem, is there any way that somebody with my minimal
> experience can tackle this?

Compile the IDE with GDB support (make clean all OPT=-g) run it inside GDB and
post the stack trace:

gdb ./fp
where

Tomas Hajny wrote:

> I guess that you could still use the cross-compilation trick - bring the
> library from the target machine to your build machine and change the
> search paths (probably manually - using "-s" option and playing with the
> generated script.res before running the created ppas.sh) before linking.
>
> Some more tips (just ideas): Only IDE (fp) should be using libc (assuming
> we talk about Linux target), so only building that one on the target
> machine (make all in the IDE directory) should reduce the building time.
> Finally, it might be possible to build everything on the build machine
> (again use -s option when building, remove all "rm" commands from the
> generated ppas.sh before running it and possibly skip the linker too),
> transfer everything to target machine and relink there.

I'm going to drop working on the larger machine for the moment, I've just
checked and a basic "Hello World" works on it which is obviously a good starting
point. I will need to use it if I get as far as testing against Solaris 8 (I
hope to have Solaris 10 running on newer hardware, but am still trying to fit in
time to go collect it). I mean let's face it- what relevance is something with
8x 50MHz CPUs these days? :-)

> > Going back to the SEGV problem, is there any way that somebody with my
> > minimal
> > experience can tackle this?
>
> Possibly. You might try it with debug info (and line info) enabled binary
> to get backtrace. That might possibly help to shed some light on what's
> happening there at least; of course it doesn't automatically mean that it
> gets resolved, but there's a chance.

OK, that looks pretty good but any suggestions as to how I get the compiler
options in? Can I give make a -D, or do I need to break into the make process in
some way I don't yet understand, and how can I check that the generated binary
is in the intended state once it's built?

Florian Klaempfl wrote:

> Compile the IDE with GDB support (make clean all OPT=-g) run it inside GDB and
> post the stack trace:
>
> gdb ./fp
> where

Ah- OK, I think I get that. Back in a few hours... :-)

Florian Klaempfl wrote:

> Compile the IDE with GDB support (make clean all OPT=-g) run it inside GDB and
> post the stack trace:
>
> gdb ./fp
> where

OK, I think it's reproducible. Simple program, <F7> to build and step, open
disassembly window, close and SEGV. First few lines of output, slightly
truncated (can I redirect this without messing up the IDE?).

0x000322d4 in TRY_CONCAT_FREE_CHUNK (MC=0x502b3880) at heap.inc:679
679     heap.inc: No such file or directory.
        in heap.inc
(gdb) where
#0  0x000322d4 in TRY_CONCAT_FREE_CHUNK (MC=0x502b3880) at heap.inc:679
#1  0x00033114 in SYSFREEMEM_VAR (PCURR=0x502b3880) at heap.inc:1023
#2  0x000331c8 in SYSFREEMEM (P=0x502b3888) at heap.inc:1043
#3  0x0003134c in FREEMEM (P=0x502b3888) at heap.inc:325
#4  0x00015a54 in fpc_help_destructor (_SELF=0x502b3888, _VMT=0x538b8c,
        VMT_POS=0) at generic.inc:419
#5  0x000a6c00 in TLINE__DONE (vmt=0x538b8c, this={<TCUSTOMLINE> = {<TOBJECT>
        = {_vptr$ = {0x505fd320, 0x0}}, }, TEXT = 0x0, DEFAULTEDITORINFO = 0x0,
        EDITORINFOS = 0x0, FLAGS = 0, OWNER = 0x502c2d48}) at wcedit.pas:366
#6  0x0004f628 in TCOLLECTION__FREEITEM (ITEM=0x502b3888, this={<TOBJECT> =
        {_vptr$ = {0x55015c, 0x505fbb38}}, ITEMS = 0x505fbb38, COUNT = 50,
        LIMIT = 500, DELTA = 1000}) at objects.pp:2018
#7  0x0004f498 in TCOLLECTION__FREEALL (this={<TOBJECT> = {_vptr$ = {0x55015c,
        0x505fbb38}}, ITEMS = 0x505fbb38, COUNT = 50, LIMIT = 500, DELTA =
        1000}) at objects.pp:1963
#8  0x0004ef38 in TCOLLECTION__DONE (vmt=0x55015c, this={<TOBJECT> = {_vptr$ =
        {0x55015c, 0x505fbb38}}, ITEMS = 0x505fbb38, COUNT = 50, LIMIT = 500,
        DELTA = 1000}) at objects.pp:1862
#9  0x000a84f8 in TCODEEDITORCORE__DONE (vmt=0x538bbc, this=
        {<TCUSTOMCODEEDITORCORE> = {<TOBJECT> = {_vptr$ = {0x538bbc, 0x0}},
        BINDINGS = 0x0, LOCKFLAG = 0, CHANGEDLINE = 0, CONTENTSCHANGEDCALLED =
        false, LIMITSCHANGEDCALLED = false, MODIFIEDCHANGEDCALLED = false,
        TABSIZECHANGEDCALLED = false, STOREUNDOCHANGEDCALLED = false,
        LASTSYNTAXEDLINE = 49, SY2
#10 0x000abe1c in TCODEEDITOR__DONE (vmt=0x0, this={<TCUSTOMCODEEDITOR> =
        {<TSCROLLER> = {<TVIEW> = {<TOBJECT> = {_vptr$ = {0x55018c, 0xc200000}},
        GROWMODE = 12, DRAGMODE = 32, TABMASK = 0, COLOUROFS = 0, HELPCTX = 0,
        STATE = 2, OPTIONS = 1, EVENTMASK = 785, ORIGIN = {X = 1, Y = 1},
        SIZE = {X = 130, Y = 145}, CURSOR = {X = 0, Y = 20}, NEXT = 5
#11 0x000ee250 in TDISASSEMBLYEDITOR__DONE (vmt=0x55018c, this={<TSOURCEEDITOR>
        ={<TFILEEDITOR> = {<TCODEEDITOR> = {<TCUSTOMCODEEDITOR> = {<TSCROLLER> =
        {<TVIEW> = {<TOBJECT> = {_vptr$ = {0x55018c, 0xc200000}}, GROWMODE =
        12, DRAGMODE = 32, TABMASK = 0, COLOUROFS = 0, HELPCTX = 0, STATE = 2,
        OPTIONS = 1, EVENTMASK = 785, ORIGIN = {X = 1, Y = 1}, SIZE = 9

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

Re: Building FPC with gdb support for SPARC

Mark Morgan Lloyd-5
I'm going to have to drop FPC on SPARC for a few days since I've got a job that
needs to be done for the end of the month.

The position appears to be that the compiler and much of the IDE is reliable,
with the exception of some window operations. The compiler is good enough to
compile Lazarus, although there's a SEGV during Lazarus startup and possibly
other errors- the same combination of FPC/Lazarus is OK on Linux/i386 subject to
not having libgdb.