Building FPC from sources on Linux Mint 19, make clean errors out

Building FPC from sources on Linux Mint 19, make clean errors out

Bo Berglund
I have jsut createda virtual Linux Mint 19 x86_64 machine on which I
attempted to install FPC 3.0.4 and Lazarus 1.8.5 (the fixes branch).

I got as far as:
- FPC 3.0.0 seed compiler downloaded
- FPC 3.0.4 sources retrieved via svn
- Lazarus 1.8.5 sources retrieved via svn

I went into the ~/dev/fpc/3.0.4 dir and issued make clean expecting
not very much activity.
But what I got surprised me:

~/dev/fpc/3.0.4$ make clean
make: -iVSPTPSOTO: Command not found
/bin/rm -f build-stamp.*
/bin/rm -f base.build-stamp.*

As far as I can remember I have not been requested to add any other
argument to this command before (I have built FPC/Lazarus on a number
of different Linux machine using the exact same procedure).

What does this mean and what can I do to fix it?
Does it need to be fixed?

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden

Re: Building FPC from sources on Linux Mint 19, make clean errors out

On 2018-11-05 14:30, Bo Berglund wrote:

<snip>

> ~/dev/fpc/3.0.4$ make clean
> make: -iVSPTPSOTO: Command not found
> /bin/rm -f build-stamp.*
> /bin/rm -f base.build-stamp.*

<snip>

> What does this mean and what can I do to fix it?
> Does it need to be fixed?

This works for me the last 3 years :

   make clean FPC=<pathto>\ppc executable you'll use.

PS: AFAIK, you need to use the previous version official compiler to
build the sources. Meaning for 3.0.4 sources you'll need 3.0.2 and not
3.0.0. At least this is what I do to avoid to use the override
directive.

regards,

--
Dimitrios Chr. Ioannidis

Re: Building FPC from sources on Linux Mint 19, make clean errors out

Bo Berglund
On Mon, 05 Nov 2018 15:12:16 +0200, "Dimitrios Chr. Ioannidis via
fpc-pascal"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>This works for me the last 3 years :
>
>   make clean FPC=<pathto>\ppc executable you'll use.

OK, I did not think that make clean should need the compiler in the
first place since all it would do is erase all previous compilation
artifacts. So I did not add the command line switch FPC. Why need the
compiler to erase files???

>PS: AFAIK, you need to use the previous version official compiler to
>build the sources. Meaning for 3.0.4 sources you'll need 3.0.2 and not
>3.0.0. At least this is what I do to avoid to use the override
>directive.

Well my read is that 3.0.0 should be used for *all* 3.x builds...
And I had symlinked the 3.0.0 version of ppcx64 into ~/bin, but I had
some problems making that work too.
After I compiled 3.0.4 I change the symlink to point to the new
version 3.0.4

Adding FPC=~/bin/ppcx64 as a command line argument to make fixed it
all.

Maybe I should recompile 3.0.4 with itself in true Wirth spirit?

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden