Bootstrapping the compiler...

Kevin Lyda
Is the current (3.0.4) fpc compiler required to build the compiler or
is there a way to bootstrap a compiler?

Kevin

--
Kevin Lyda
Galway, Ireland

Re: Bootstrapping the compiler...

Jonas Maebe-3
On 18/05/2019 15:09, Kevin Lyda wrote:
> Is the current (3.0.4) fpc compiler required to build the compiler or
> is there a way to bootstrap a compiler?

An FPC release can always be built by the previously released FPC
version, and FPC trunk can always be built by the current release.

While very old FPC versions could be compiled by Turbo Pascal (and at
some point also by Delphi, I think), current FPC versions can only be
compiled by FPC itself.

Re: Bootstrapping the compiler...

Kevin Lyda
So there's no minimal C version of the compiler? Interesting. So to
build trunk I need the new compiler installed first. I thought there
might be a trick to avoid that.

And by Turbo Pascal, I assume you don't mean 3.01a!

Kevin

On 18/05/2019 15:37, Kevin Lyda wrote:
> So there's no minimal C version of the compiler?

No, since the initial version of the compiler was already written in
Pascal. The compiler can be easily cross-compiled if necessary (it does
not depend on any system libraries), so a (minimal or not) C version of
the compiler would mainly result in a lot of extra maintenance work with
few benefits.

> And by Turbo Pascal, I assume you don't mean 3.01a!

It was indeed Turbo Pascal 7. And soon even Borland Pascal 7, because
DOS real mode did not provide enough memory.