Blind Users

BobJ
Have any blind programmers managed to make use of the Lazarus IDE or the FPC command line to write interactive software that will run on the Windows7, 64-bit platform?

I am blind, a retired software developer now able to make use of two screen-reading software packages, neither of which I have been able to successfully access Lazarus for GUI programming or the output of executables created with the Lazarus command-line interface.

Any guidance will be appreciated.

Bob

Re: Blind Users

Graeme Geldenhuys-6
On 2016-10-25 12:30, BobJ wrote:
> Any guidance will be appreciated.

Fred has done some very impressive work with SAK - his Speech Assistive
Kit. SAK works cross-platform too, and supports fpGUI Toolkit and MSEgui.

Here is a short write-up on it with using fpGUI.

  http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/community.shtml

The project website and source code can be found on GitHub.

  https://github.com/fredvs/sak

Fred has also made a fully assistive fpGUI Visual Form's Designer and a
fork of MSEide, called ideU, which you can use to develop Console,
MSEgui or fpGUI applications.

The ideU releases url:

  https://github.com/fredvs/ideU/releases

Just looking at the SAK github page, it seems he managed to get a LCL
version going to.

Regards,
  Graeme

Re: Blind Users

fredvs

Hello.

Thanks Graeme for your clear explanations.

sak (Speaker Assitive Kit) is working for LCL, fpGUI and MSEgui.

Here demo of sak in action:

https://sites.google.com/site/designerext/test_sak_mse_fred.mp4

ideU is a voice assisted IDE, derived from MSEide.

Binary release for Windows, Linux and FreeBSD are here:

https://github.com/fredvs/ideU/releases

Fre;D

Fred has done some very impressive work with SAK - his Speech Assistive
Kit. SAK works cross-platform too, and supports fpGUI Toolkit and MSEgui.

Here is a short write-up on it with using fpGUI.

  http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/community.shtml
fpgui.sourceforge.net
Community Projects. Here you will find any interesting projects created by the community, using fpGUI in some or other way. If you have a project that you would like ...

The project website and source code can be found on GitHub.

  https://github.com/fredvs/sak
github.com
Speecher Assistive Kit. With sak, your application becomes assistive directly, without changing anything in your code.

Fred has also made a fully assistive fpGUI Visual Form's Designer and a
fork of MSEide, called ideU, which you can use to develop Console,
MSEgui or fpGUI applications.

The ideU releases url:

  https://github.com/fredvs/ideU/releases
github.com
ideU - The ide. Universal.

Just looking at the SAK github page, it seems he managed to get a LCL
version going to.

Regards,
  Graeme

fpgui.sourceforge.net
What is fpGUI? fpGUI Toolkit (or the Free Pascal GUI Toolkit) is a multi-platform toolkit for creating graphical user interfaces. Offering a complete set of custom ...

My public PGP key:  http://tinyurl.com/graeme-pgp
lists.freepascal.org
NOTE ***** Due to incidents with spambots subscribing to the list and spamming it, your first message(s) may be delayed a bit before ...

Many thanks ;-)

Re: Blind Users

BobJ
Graeme,

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Bob

> Fred has done some very impressive work with SAK - his Speech Assistive
> Kit. SAK works cross-platform too, and supports fpGUI Toolkit and MSEgui.
>
> Here is a short write-up on it with using fpGUI.
>
>  http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/community.shtml
>
> The project website and source code can be found on GitHub.
>
>  https://github.com/fredvs/sak
>
> Fred has also made a fully assistive fpGUI Visual Form's Designer and a
> fork of MSEide, called ideU, which you can use to develop Console,
> MSEgui or fpGUI applications.
>
> The ideU releases url:
>
>  https://github.com/fredvs/ideU/releases
>
> Just looking at the SAK github page, it seems he managed to get a LCL
> version going to.
>
> Regards,
>  Graeme
>
> --
> fpGUI Toolkit - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
> http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/
>
> My public PGP key:  http://tinyurl.com/graeme-pgp

Re: Blind Users

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho
Some work was done in the LCL-Cocoa and LCL-Win32 to support screen
readers. Since LCL-Win32 uses native controls, it should be acessible
to screen readers out of the box, but it would be great if you could
test how the LCL apps behave in practice. I tested a long time ago.

About UI designing, I think it is best if you bypass the Form designer
completely and write the UI in code instead. Here is an example of how
to write LCL GUIs in code only, without using the Form Designer:

http://wiki.freepascal.org/Form_Tutorial#Creating_a_new_form_dynamically

Also read this page about acessibility in general and specifically
about adding accessibility to custom control (non-native ones) in the
LCL: http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/LCL_Accessibility

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho

Re: Blind Users

BobJ
Felipe,

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Bob

> Some work was done in the LCL-Cocoa and LCL-Win32 to support screen
> readers. Since LCL-Win32 uses native controls, it should be acessible
> to screen readers out of the box, but it would be great if you could
> test how the LCL apps behave in practice. I tested a long time ago.
>
> About UI designing, I think it is best if you bypass the Form designer
> completely and write the UI in code instead. Here is an example of how
> to write LCL GUIs in code only, without using the Form Designer:
>
> http://wiki.freepascal.org/Form_Tutorial#Creating_a_new_form_dynamically
>
> Also read this page about acessibility in general and specifically
> about adding accessibility to custom control (non-native ones) in the
> LCL: http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/LCL_Accessibility
>
> --
> Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho

Re: Blind Users

BobJ
Graeme,

You included this on your message...> --
> fpGUI Toolkit - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
> http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/

Is there any other location from which fpgui can be acquired?

sourceforge has never been friendly to screen-reading software and, although
I have made multiple attempts with each of two screen-readers, I have been
unable to get a download started.

BTW, what is the exact name of the downloadable file?

Thanks,

Bob

Re: Blind Users

Graeme Geldenhuys-6
On 2016-11-07 14:36, BobJ wrote:
> Is there any other location from which fpgui can be acquired?

Yes, fpGUI also has a mirror repository on GitHub. fpGUI is primarily
released in source code form. The only exception is the DocView tool and
INF help files, which I also release as compiled versions for convenience.

If you have Git installed (highly recommended), you can get fpGUI source
code from GitHub using the following command:

  git close https://github.com/graemeg/fpGUI.git

You will end up with a 'fpgui' directory and in the 'master' branch. If
you want the latest stable fpGUI code, then change directory into the
'fpgui' directory and checkout the 'maint' branch.

  cd fpgui
  git checkout maint

If you are interested in the latest features and currently less stable
version of fpGUI, then checkout the 'develop' branch.

  cd fpgui
  git checkout develop

I also recommend you read the docs/INSTALL.txt file to get started.

If you don't have Git installed, that's not a problem either, as Github
allows you to download ZIP archives of whichever branch you selected.
Here is a direct link to download the latest 'maint' branch source code.

  https://github.com/graemeg/fpGUI/archive/maint.zip

Regards,
  Graeme

Re: Blind Users

wkitty42
On 11/07/2016 09:51 AM, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> If you have Git installed (highly recommended), you can get fpGUI source
> code from GitHub using the following command:
>
>   git close https://github.com/graemeg/fpGUI.git

typo!

   git clone https://github.com/graemeg/fpGUI.git

Re: Blind Users

Graeme Geldenhuys-6
On 2016-11-07 15:40, [hidden email] wrote:

> typo!

You are 100% correct. Thanks for spotting that.

Regards,
  Graeme