[Announcement] Castle Game Engine 4.0.0 release for FPC game developers

[Announcement] Castle Game Engine 4.0.0 release for FPC game developers

Michalis Kamburelis-3
Hi,

I would like to announce a release of Castle Game Engine 4.0.0, an
open-source cross-platform 3D game engine for Object Pascal (only
FPC/Lazarus):

   http://castle-engine.sourceforge.net/news.php?id=release-4.0.0

I'm letting myself post an announcement to lazarus and fpc-pascal
mailing lists, as this engine release is really directed at ObjectPascal
developers: we finally have a nice high-level game engine API, it's
possible to make a 3D game really trivially easy, and everything is also
very flexible. We also have a lot of new engine documentation (tutorial,
classes overview etc.) and useful examples.

The engine reads many 3D model formats, focusing on VRML/X3D standards
(so you can make 3D models in pretty much every 3D modeling software),
but also supporting Collada and other popular formats. We use OpenGL for
graphics, and we have many eye-candy features (shadows, mirrors, bump
mapping, screen effects, shaders etc.). The engine is basically
integrated into Lazarus (you can drop TCastleContol, and a couple of
non-visual components, on the Lazarus form), although it can also be
used without LCL (we have our own TCastleWindow). The engine license is
modified LGPL (same license as FPC RTL), so you can make both open- and
closed-source games with it.

We welcome developers that want to use our engine, and/or contribute of
course :) If you want to make a game using our engine, give it a try :)

Links to downloads and documentation are on

   http://castle-engine.sourceforge.net/engine.php

Links to our tools and old games are on the main page,
http://castle-engine.sourceforge.net/ .

Regards,
Michalis

Re: [Announcement] Castle Game Engine 4.0.0 release for FPC game developers

Michael Van Canneyt

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013, Michalis Kamburelis wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to announce a release of Castle Game Engine 4.0.0, an
> open-source cross-platform 3D game engine for Object Pascal (only
> FPC/Lazarus):
>
>  http://castle-engine.sourceforge.net/news.php?id=release-4.0.0
>
> I'm letting myself post an announcement to lazarus and fpc-pascal mailing
> lists, as this engine release is really directed at ObjectPascal developers:
> we finally have a nice high-level game engine API, it's possible to make a 3D
> game really trivially easy, and everything is also very flexible. We also
> have a lot of new engine documentation (tutorial, classes overview etc.) and
> useful examples.

Pretty impressive. Keep up the good work !!

Re: [Announcement] Castle Game Engine 4.0.0 release for FPC game developers

Виктор Матузенко

I have tried to compile it under Windows XP with «make all», and got the
errors:

fpc fpmake.pp
Free Pascal Compiler version 2.6.0 [2011/12/25] for i386
Copyright (c) 1993-2011 by Florian Klaempfl and others
Target OS: Win32 for i386
Compiling fpmake.pp
Linking fpmake.exe
264 lines compiled, 0.4 sec , 268032 bytes code, 67084 bytes data
'Running fpmake. If this fails saying that "rtl" is not found, remember
to set FPCDIR environment variable, see http://wiki.freepascal.org/FPMake.'
./fpmake
Start building package castle-game-engine for target i386-win32.
The installer encountered the following error:
External command "fpc -Twin32 -FUunits\i386-win32
-FuC:\FPC\2.6.0\units\i386-win32\rtl
-FuC:\FPC\2.6.0\units\i386-win32\opengl
-FuC:\FPC\2.6.0\units\i386-win32\fcl-base
-FuC:\FPC\2.6.0\units\i386-win32\fcl-image
-FuC:\FPC\2.6.0\units\i386-win32\fcl-xml
-FuC:\FPC\2.6.0\units\i386-win32\fcl-process
-FuC:\FPC\2.6.0\units\i386-win32\pasjpeg "@castle-fpc.cfg" -viq
src\opengl\windows\castleglwindowsfonts.pas" failed with exit code 1.
Console output:
Free Pascal Compiler version 2.6.0 [2011/12/25] for i386
Copyright (c) 1993-2011 by Florian Klaempfl and others
Target OS: Win32 for i386
Compiling src\opengl\windows\castleglwindowsfonts.pas
castleglwindowsfonts.pas(81,22) Error: Incompatible types: got
"LongWord" expected "TWinCharSet"
castleglwindowsfonts.pas(85,4) Error: Wrong number of parameters
specified for call to "Font2OutlineFont"
castleglwindowsfonts.pas(86,36) Error: Incompatible type for arg no. 1:
Got "Pointer", expected "TOutlineFont"
castleglwindowsfonts.pas(96,23) Error: Identifier not found
"FreeMemNilingAllChars"
castleglwindowsfonts.pas(119,22) Error: Incompatible types: got
"LongWord" expected "TWinCharSet"
castleglwindowsfonts.pas(123,4) Error: Wrong number of parameters
specified for call to "Font2BitmapFont"
castleglwindowsfonts.pas(124,35) Error: Incompatible type for arg no. 1:
Got "Pointer", expected "TBitmapFont"
castleglwindowsfonts.pas(134,23) Error: Identifier not found
"FreeMemNilingAllChars"
castleglwindowsfonts.pas(137,4) Fatal: There were 8 errors compiling
module, stopping
Fatal: Compilation aborted
Error: C:\FPC\2.6.0\bin\i386-Win32\ppc386.exe returned an error exitcode
(normal if you did not specify a source Compiling
src\opengl\windows\castleglwindowsfonts.pas
  file to be compiled)

I downloaded archive castle_game_engine-4.0.0-src.zip from website:

C:\private\downloads>ls -la castle_game_engine-4.0.0-src.zip
-rw-rw-rw-   1 user     group    84437682 Feb  1 16:34
castle_game_engine-4.0.0-src.zip
C:\private\downloads>md5 castle_game_engine-4.0.0-src.zip
4051349fba05831f72ad73d8bd61d554 *castle_game_engine-4.0.0-src.zip

What's wrong?

26.01.2013 23:22, Michalis Kamburelis пишет:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to announce a release of Castle Game Engine 4.0.0, an
> open-source cross-platform 3D game engine for Object Pascal (only
> FPC/Lazarus):
>
> http://castle-engine.sourceforge.net/news.php?id=release-4.0.0
>
> I'm letting myself post an announcement to lazarus and fpc-pascal
> mailing lists, as this engine release is really directed at
> ObjectPascal developers: we finally have a nice high-level game engine
> API, it's possible to make a 3D game really trivially easy, and
> everything is also very flexible. We also have a lot of new engine
> documentation (tutorial, classes overview etc.) and useful examples.
>
> The engine reads many 3D model formats, focusing on VRML/X3D standards
> (so you can make 3D models in pretty much every 3D modeling software),
> but also supporting Collada and other popular formats. We use OpenGL
> for graphics, and we have many eye-candy features (shadows, mirrors,
> bump mapping, screen effects, shaders etc.). The engine is basically
> integrated into Lazarus (you can drop TCastleContol, and a couple of
> non-visual components, on the Lazarus form), although it can also be
> used without LCL (we have our own TCastleWindow). The engine license
> is modified LGPL (same license as FPC RTL), so you can make both open-
> and closed-source games with it.
>
> We welcome developers that want to use our engine, and/or contribute
> of course :) If you want to make a game using our engine, give it a
> try :)
>
> Links to downloads and documentation are on
>
> http://castle-engine.sourceforge.net/engine.php
>
> Links to our tools and old games are on the main page,
> http://castle-engine.sourceforge.net/ .
>
> Regards,
> Michalis

Victor Matuzenko (Виктор Матузенко)

Victor Matuzenko wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have tried to compile it under Windows XP with «make all», and got the
> errors:

[...]
> Compiling src\opengl\windows\castleglwindowsfonts.pas
> castleglwindowsfonts.pas(81,22) Error: Incompatible types: got
> "LongWord" expected "TWinCharSet"

A bug slipped into the release, unit castleglwindowsfonts.pas didn't
compile. You can either:

1. Comment out the line

   P.Targets.AddUnit('castleglwindowsfonts.pas');

inside fpmake.pp. This unit is not used by anything else, so everything
will still compile and work Ok.

2. Or use latest engine 4.0.1 release, where this was corrected :)
Download link is from the usual page
http://castle-engine.sourceforge.net/engine.php .

Background: The CastleGLWindowsFonts unit is a little obscure, it was
not used by any example program, it's not part of Lazarus packages and
it's Windows-specific --- that is why this bug went unnoticed, I didn't
test fpmake compilation on Windows. In 4.0.1 this is fixed, and the unit
is also tested by one example program, so this bug will not happen again :)

Regards,
Michalis