ARM / SheevaPlug followup

jdonth-2
<sales pitch> I think the SheevaPlug is a great opportunity to promote the use of FPC in an embedded environment.</sales pitch>

I need to figure out how to compile a non-GUI FPC program (helloworld.pp) to run on a SheevaPlug (ARM926EJ-S rev 1 (v5l)
)under Ubuntu.

I need one of the following three options:
1) Compile and run directly on the ARM processor.
2) Compile on i386 Linux box and run on the ARM processor
3) Compile on a Win32 (XP) box and run on the ARM processor.

Any thoughts or assistance.

Thanks,
~Joe Donth

Re: ARM / SheevaPlug followup

Henry Vermaak
2009/4/14 Joe Donth <[hidden email]>:

> <sales pitch> I think the SheevaPlug is a great opportunity to promote the
> use of FPC in an embedded environment.</sales pitch>
>
> I need to figure out how to compile a non-GUI FPC program (helloworld.pp) to
> run on a SheevaPlug (ARM926EJ-S rev 1 (v5l)
> )under Ubuntu.
>
> I need one of the following three options:
> 1) Compile and run directly on the ARM processor.
> 2) Compile on i386 Linux box and run on the ARM processor
> 3) Compile on a Win32 (XP) box and run on the ARM processor.

i'd personally get hold of the cross-toolchain, then cross compile
from i386 linux.  just set up an nfs share so you don't have to copy
files across to test the whole time.

first you need to get fpc to work, which means that you might have to
build an eabi compiler, since most distros (even debian) now use eabi
(the default arm fpc is oabi).  search the mailing list to see how to
do this.  see this page for the history of eabi:
http://wiki.debian.org/ArmEabiPort

henry

Re: ARM / SheevaPlug followup

Florian Klaempfl
Henry Vermaak schrieb:
> first you need to get fpc to work, which means that you might have to
> build an eabi compiler, since most distros (even debian) now use eabi
> (the default arm fpc is oabi).

Well, not really. Debian stable is still oabi.

Re: ARM / SheevaPlug followup

Henry Vermaak
2009/4/14 Florian Klaempfl <[hidden email]>:
> Henry Vermaak schrieb:
>> first you need to get fpc to work, which means that you might have to
>> build an eabi compiler, since most distros (even debian) now use eabi
>> (the default arm fpc is oabi).
>
> Well, not really. Debian stable is still oabi.

hmm, according to this: http://www.debian.org/ports/arm/ the oabi is
deprecated...

henry

Re: ARM / SheevaPlug followup

princeriley
It would seem that its probably best we take some time and try to spec out, test, and the publish the steps to follow since I've been interested in a port like this as well.

Can we use the steps followed to port PFC to  the MacOS hardware platform when it was non-Intel?

Should be be looking at a cross-compile approach using the i386 host (Linux) and the SheevaPlug developer tools?

How can we condense down the FPC libraries and what linking strategy should we use? (static)

Just a few questions that I have on my mind looking at this.

Prince

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 4:21 PM, Henry Vermaak <[hidden email]> wrote:
2009/4/14 Florian Klaempfl <[hidden email]>:
> Henry Vermaak schrieb:
>> first you need to get fpc to work, which means that you might have to
>> build an eabi compiler, since most distros (even debian) now use eabi
>> (the default arm fpc is oabi).
>
> Well, not really. Debian stable is still oabi.

hmm, according to this: http://www.debian.org/ports/arm/ the oabi is
deprecated...

henry

Re: ARM / SheevaPlug followup

Henry Vermaak
2009/4/14 Joe Donth <[hidden email]>:
> <sales pitch> I think the SheevaPlug is a great opportunity to promote the
> use of FPC in an embedded environment.</sales pitch>

just had a look into this, very impressive specs.  1.2GHz processor
with 512MB ram and nand flash.  i downloaded the development tools and
the toolchain is eabi, but i guess you can install whatever distro you
like on it.

does the fpc team have an arm eabi system?

henry